Who Wants To Live Forever?

For three hours, the Impala was silent. Neither of the brothers spoke. Dean didn't even turn on the radio. Ashton sat in the backseat, his mind swirling with adrenaline. Sam tried to ease the tension and reached behind him for the cooler of beer. The brunette's brows furrowed when he couldn't find it, and he looked behind him. Ashton's smiling face met his.

"Jesus Christ!" Sam yelped.

Dean slammed on the brakes instinctively. Dean turned around to see Ashton looking at them with a confused face. The oldest Winchester blinked slowly. "Ash, what are you doing?"

"I'm going with you."

Dean was about to argue, but Sam stopped him. "Dean," he whispered. "This is his mother. If you try and argue, I will put you in the backseat."

The sandy-haired man held his hands up in surrender. "Okay, okay. You're right." He sighed heavily before continuing down the road.

The brothers whispered, hoping Ashton wouldn't hear. They decided Ashton would stay in the car while they find Nova. Dean glanced in the backseat and saw the little boy sound asleep. Smiling softly, he continued to drive.

As the Impala continued down the road, Dean's thoughts wandered to him, having a child with Dodger one day. He'd be happy with either gender, but his heart leaned toward a girl. He imagined bright, olive-green eyes, and long, dirty blonde hair. Then, a name came to mind: Jude. Dean's smile widened, and he chuckled.

Sam looked at him with furrowed brows. "What is it?"

"Oh, nothing, Sammy."

"You're a bad liar when you smile."

"I was just thinking."

Sam raised his eyebrows. "Of?"

Dean glanced at his brother. "Nova was right. I should make it official with Dodger. I was just thinking of starting a family with her."

"You mean like a kid?"

Dean nodded. "Yeah."

"I thought you told me no chic flick moments?"

"Look where that got us," Dean looked at his brother and chuckled.

Sam smiled, and the car fell silent once again. As the men entered Wyoming, their stomachs dropped with dread. They shared a look of fear before Dean spotted their sister's car. Trying to be as quiet as possible, Dean pulled over and slid out of the vehicle. Sam stepped out before peeking in the car's window.

He let out a sigh of relief to see Ashton was still asleep. A gunshot from down the street caused Dean to whip out his 1911 pistol instinctively. Wearily, the brothers trekked toward the epicenter of the sound. Another shot echoed in their ears, and they picked up their pace.

Inside, the ancient house, Nova fended off ghost after ghost. They were more stringent than she thought they'd be. Glancing out the broken window, she peered at the sunset glowing with an orange and red haze. The Winchester staggered toward the window and watched the sun dipping out of sight.

An object collided with Nova's skull, sending her to the floor. With a grunt, she stood and whipped around to see the last poltergeist staring her down. Before Nova could lift the shotgun, it flew from her hands, and she was against the opposite wall. Blood slid down her right cheek, and she wiped her sliced lip roughly.

The poltergeist slammed Nova against the wall with its hand around her neck. Gasping for breath, she reached into her pocket and chucked an iron railroad spike. Hissing, the ghost dropped Nova, and she fell to her knees.

"Nova!" Sam rushed to her side. Dean fired a salt-filled shotgun round at the ghost, and it dissipated. The oldest brother slid next to Nova, holding her head up.

Nova smiled weakly. "Heya, boys," she coughed.

"Come on, let's get out of here before that thing comes back," Dean said in a heightened tone.

"No."

"What do you mean, no? Nova, we've gotta get you out of here," Sam helped Nova to her feet.

"You heard me, and you know what I want."

"We're not letting you die!" Dean's eyes were glittering with tears.

Before the argument could continue, all three Winchester flung toward the walls. The poltergeist returned, its attention focused on Nova. It knew that Nova was sick, somehow. With a malicious smile, the ghost wrapped its pale fingers around Nova's throat. Dean and Sam shrieked to let her go.

The ghost waved its hand, and the brothers' swearing disappeared. Nova struggled to move; her world began to cloud with dark spots. A shrill scream escaped Nova's lips as the poltergeist shoved its hand into her stomach.

Every memory she'd made flew through her head. From Balthazar teaching her to shoot a gun, to meeting Bobby and Boston for the first time, going on her first hunt, running into Gabriel and instantly falling in love, her first kiss with Gabriel, her wedding day, and finding out she was to be a parent. The good, the bad, and the ugly flashed by in a fleeting moment.

The poltergeist erupted into flames, and the Winchester slumped to the floor.

"No! No, no, no, no!" Dean scooped his sister into his arms as his view blurred with tears.

Blood seeped out of Nova's stomach, and she coughed with a pained expression. Sam brushed her hat back from her eyes. Nova placed a hand on each of their shoulders. "Hey," she whispered.

Dean and Sam looked at her, their hearts shattering. Ashton ran into the room, a lighter and box of salt in his hands. He dropped the items and sprinted to his mother. Nova weakly smiled at them all. "Hi, baby," Nova cooed.

Ashton wrapped his arms around his mother's neck as tears cascaded down his rosy cheeks. Nova hugged her son and looked at her brothers. Dean and Sam kissed their sister's forehead as she took their hands. "I love you, mama," Ashton whimpered.

"I love you too, Ashton." She kissed his cheek. Gingerly, Nova held Ashton in her arms. "Until you're in my arms again, remember me," she sang softly as her eyes closed.

Ashton wailed and held his mother tighter. "Mama!"

Dean stood up, his arms above his head. Gritting his teeth, he let the tears fall. Sam rested his head on Nova's leg, his shoulders shaking harshly. The three boys sat there, nothing to say.

"Nova?"

Nova looked around, her face written with confusion. Her eyes met a skinny man with a receding hairline and sunken eyes.

Death stood behind her with a solemn face.

The Winchester looked at her bleeding out body and gasped. Her turquoise eyes glistened with tears.

"I'm sorry, Ms. Winchester," he stepped forward. "It's your time to go." He paused and rested a bony hand on her shoulder. "And I think you're ready if I'm not mistaken."

Nova nodded and turned to him. "Can you do me one favor before I go?"

Death thought for a moment before tilting his head curiously. "I suppose, yes."

"Let them know I'm happy, and I'm ready to go."

"Consider it already done, Ms. Winchester," he nodded his head toward her.

Nova straightened her shoulders, let out a ragged breath, and smiled. "Here's to never giving up on me, boys."

The reaper held out his arm, and she took it bravely. Together, they walked out of the building and into the chilly night air. Nova looked up at the stars and knew that this was not the end of the story but merely, the end of her chapter.