2

Art of the cover is from the amazing artist Ceejindeed.

*

In the next couple of hours, Heat got to see a side of you he hadn't imagined before.

Of course he hadn't known you for long, but he used to think about you as a restless, chaotic person. Now, looking at you taking your time inspecting each stand, he realised he should have known better.

You were a sniper, after all, someone who doesn't rush into brawls, but instead stays steady and chooses the right moment. So it was always right there, that certain stillness inside you, below all the aggressiveness and the insecurities.

«Heat? You awake?»

The pirate blinked at you.

«Sure. You didn't take-- ahem, buy anything?»

After the time you spent looking at the accessories made out of shells and other sea creatures, it was a little surprising. Then it occurred to him.

«Oh, wait, you don't have any money.»

His eyes flicked to the crowd, already scanning for a target to punch and rob when you chuckled, tugging his slacks to catch his attention.

«Hold on, big guy.»

Heat turned to you to see a small bag bouncing in your hand and your signature crooked smile.

«When did you get that?» he asked, frowning lightly.

You shrugged, the bag disappearing inside your long jacket.

«The place is filled with pirates, and I'm smaller than most of them.»

«I didn't think you would be okay with stealing.»

You scoffed, a pout suddenly puffing your cheeks.

«This money was stolen already. They're mine as much as they were theirs.»

«Then why didn't you use them?»

«What for? Those trinkets would look ridiculous on me. Besides, I prefer to spend this on food. Hey, takoyaki!»

Heat watched you spring to another stand, cutting your way through the little crowd and enthusiastically placing your order.

The rest of the morning proceeded pretty much in the same way, with you dragging Heat around form a food post to another. He didn't seem to mind anyway, you could even guess his slight amusement right below that ever-sad expression of his.

Plus, he was kinda handy. People recognised him as member of the Kid Pirates and decided to let you alone.

For the most part.

«Oi, Heat of the Kid Pirates!»

You were munching at an octopus skewer when the coarse yell reached you, making you both turn.

Two tall pirates stood in the middle of the alley, dark cloaks draped on them, the cowls projecting a shadow over their wicked grins.

Magician's men.

Heat's face didn't falter as his sullen eyes met them.

«What's with that tiny guy you're walking around?» one laughed.

The blue-haired man shifted so he could properly face the two as they approached. The people around seemed to sense the tension, because they stepped back, partially clearing the street.