Epilogue

The Worst Generation managed to get away from the Marines thanks to the passage created by the Mera Mera no Mi user.

You were pushed back while the crew was facing the battleships, so you climbed to the posterior crow's nest and holed up there until all the enemies disappeared from the horizon. And long after that.

It was a night of new moon. The clouds covered the stars, giving the impression the sea and the sky were merged in a single, black entity, and the Victoria Punk was a dot of light floating in the darkness.

You spent many hours in the crow's nest without really thinking about anything, huddled in a corner, eyes lost beyond the window. You were only stirred out from your trance by the sound of someone climbing up the mast. Eventually, the hatch opened and a pirate peered inside.

«Oi.»

You turned to him and grunted.

The Mohican crawled inside and took a seat on the corner in front of you.

«Soo... the captain and Killer-san are all patched up. They're both resting in their cabins now. Do you, hum... need any medical attention?»

You observed him talking before shaking your head.

«I'm fine.»

«Huh, okay.» he scratched his neck, clearly looking for something else to say «Are you planning on spending the night here? You know, we had to keep Heat from coming up and check on you.»

You cocked an eyebrow.

«Why are you here, then?»

«Er...» the pirate's gaze slid to the side «I just thought you may need something.»

The two of you stayed silent for a while.

Finally you sighed and stretched your legs.

«How's the rest of the crew?»

«All fine, no serious wounds.»

«Good. Kid's mood?»

«Hum... pretty bad.»

Of course.

You nodded and moved to the hatch, preparing to climb down the mast.

«Y/n, wait...!»

Your eyes rose to him as you moved down the ladder.

«I just...» the Mohican hesitated but eventually stared at you with a resolute expression «The captain didn't hurt you to make you come back, did he?»

You frowned at him for a few quiet seconds before descending the mast.

It was dark and still below deck. Many of the men went to sleep and the few required to keep the ship moving were outside.

You weren't really sure where you were going. Your aimless steps guided you down to the infirmary, then towards the silent corridor that led to the captain's cabin. When you passed Killer's door, though, you hesitated.

He was probably sleeping. He got beaten up pretty bad after all, and using the adrenalin came with a price.

You shifted your weight from your heels to your toes a couple of times, then knocked. Very gently, just enough so he could hear if he was awake.

«If it's not urgent, I'm going to slice you in half.»

Your eyes widened at the uncharacteristic threat that came from the cabin. Killer's voice was low but sharp.

Boy, he can be scary if he wants to.

«See you in the morning then.» you grumbled, stepping back.