7

SPOILERS from the movie start in this chapter!

«Holy shh...»

The whisper barely made it out of your lips as your eyes slid through the ships almost clogging the narrow line of sea cutting into the island.

«The Roar of the Sea... Capone "Gang" Bege... the Mad Monk... The Magician...»

«Oi.»

A heavy hand dropped on your shoulder, shaking you out of your trance.

Your eyes darted on the side and up the tall blonde who appeared to the railing.

«You scared?»

His voice didn't betray any emotion but the question sounded derisive in your ears, so you shrugged his hand off.

«I'm not scared, Massacre Soldier. I just realized that I'm about to win the WG poll.»

«Good.» he nodded, crossing his arms «Kid and I will be on the front line, so we can't worry about you.»

You clicked your tongue and an ironic smirk tugged at your lips.

«Aw, bummer! You're usually so nurturing and protective. Remind me how I ended up here in the first place?»

Killer hummed, unfazed by your sarcasm.

«I wouldn't say nurturing, but Kid is definitely overprotective of you.»

«My vagina disagrees.»

The choked cough that left his helmet drew a sly chuckle from your features.

«Don't worry, Massacre Soldier.» you patted the rifle hanging from your shoulder «I'll be fine. And if I'm not, well.»

You stretched your arms with a fatalistic smile and he sighed.

«I'm trusting you with this one, Y/n. Avoid direct confrontation with the supernovas, especially Diez Drake. You're our sniper today.»

You frowned but he left before you could retort.

Your gaze followed him walking towards the bow. It still felt a little weird talking to him after that morning. You didn't realize how many sides of these guys you didn't know yet.

The ships were still advancing rather calmly along the shore and thousands of pirates were following the notorious crews entering the competitions from the big screens all over the island.

You glanced at the enemies around one more time before letting out a quiet sigh.

«Are you okay, Y/n?»

You raised your eyes to meet Heat's sad face.

«I'm fine, I just never pictured myself in this situation.»

The pirate didn't reply, his hand simply running up to twist a lock of blue hair between his fingers.

Your back rolled to lean against the railing and you motioned towards the bow.

«Kid is pretty excited, uh?»

«Hum, yeah.» his gaze followed yours «He's always like this when strong enemies are around. He'll rush away again. And Killer will run behind him.»

You had to contain an amused laugh at his slightly exasperated expression. Who knows how many times he had to deal with that shit before. But there was something more in his eyes, something that resembled a glimpse of concern, maybe...?

«Don't worry about that.»

His focus shifted back to you and you gave him a crooked smirk.

«I'll lend you guys my shots today. You can relax.»