Chapter 12

Mitch was lying in bed staring at the ceiling when Scott walked in. Mitch immediately teared up at seeing the tall blonde.

"Scott. I'm so sorry. Please forgive me. I just...I don't..." Mitch said before sobbing.

Scott said nothing as he pulled Mitch into his arms and rubbed comforting circles on his back.

"Why Mitch? Why? How could you do this to me? Just up and leave like I never meant anything to you."

Mitch pulled back and wiped his eyes.

"I thought...I mean...I don't know, Scott. It seemed like a good idea at the time and you, Kevin and Kirstie were keeping things from me and it hurt me. I thought you didn't love me, that you were getting tired of me. I'm so sorry Scott."

"Do you want to know what all the secrecy was? Why we were keeping things from you? I was going to propose, Mitch. I was going to fucking ask you to marry me. I had Kirstie help me pick out a ring, and Kevin took the picture from the bedroom to blow it up to bigger size."

Mitch covered his mouth in shock.

"Oh my god, Scott. I'm so stupid. I should have trusted you. Please forgive me."

"Yeah, you should have. You really hurt me Mitch. How could you not after everything we've been through? I've been with you every step of the way. What reasons did I give you for you to think I didn't love you or you couldn't trust me?"

"I don't know. Nothing I guess, I just thought...My head is so messed up! I couldn't understand it and nothing made sense. I know you love me Scott and I do trust you. I am so sorry I left. I'm sorry for putting you and your team in danger because of my stupidity. Please forgive me." Mitch cried.

"This isn't just about my team, Mitch. You! You put yourself in danger! You put yourself in a position where you could have been taken away from me forever. I wouldn't have lived with myself knowing I might never see you again. Do you have any idea how much you mean to me? I was going to propose dammit. Now....I don't know how to feel. You didn't trust me. Me of all people."

Scott ran his hands through his hair and he paced around the room. Mitch watched him with sad eyes, knowing he was the cause of all this.

"Scott, please, I-"

"Please, Mitch, I need to think." Scott interrupted.

Mitch snapped his mouth shut and continued to watch Scott pull further and further away.

"Are you.....breaking up with me?" Mitch asked.

Scott stopped his pacing at stared at Mitch before sitting down, putting his head in his hands.

"Mitch, I love you, I wanted to marry you. I don't know how to be with someone who doesn't trust me, who doesn't think I love them. What happens during our next argument, Mitch? Are you going to run then too? Am I going to have to chase you all over the country when you think I'm hiding things from you? I can't live like that. I can't live not knowing when I'm at work if you are still at home and something I accidently did set you off and you've left me again."

"Please Scott, don't do this. I'm sorry. I love you. I will never do it again. I know I messed up. I want to marry you. I want to spend every minute of the rest of my life with you. You know, when Avi kidnapped me, you all kept telling me how strong I was to make it through that. It wasn't me, Scott. You got me through. Every minute I was with him I thought about you. Your face, your smile, your laugh. It made me push through. I knew you would find me and everything would be okay. And this time, while I was tied to that bed, I thought of you. I went to my happy place and it was with you. It's always with you. Please give me another chance Scotty." Mitch pleaded.