Chapter 1: Seeing Things

Newyork City was loud as always, the busy streets filled with frustrated people pushing their way past each other. Conversations, arguments and insults muddled together in the cold night air, creating a large mummer of words. Taxis angrily honked at the cars in front of them as a steady line of traffic was building up, the cyclists and bikers filtered through the traffic up ahead carelessly.

Kristina paced through the crowd, dodging the people that got in her way, growing more and more frustrated with every time someone shoved past her. She needed to get home before her mom got angry at the girl for staying out for longer than she allowed. Her eyes moved from staring pointlessly at her feet to looking at the filled street in front of her.

"Are you sure? I don't want you to get in trouble, we can just celebrate together tomorrow or another day" Clary's voice rumbled on the other side of the phone.

Kristina shook her head, although Clary couldn't see her, and laughed lightly.

"oh come on it's your 18th! It's a big day, of course, I'm going to sneak out. I can deal with the consequences later" She replied while flipping of some girl that swore at her for being in the way.

Clary had been Kristina's best friend since the girl had moved to New York with her mom when she was twelve. The two met at school and became friends quite quickly after Kristina had punched a boy that was bullying Clary.

"if you're sure, I know your mom is crazy strict you don't have to come out" Clary went on worried that her best friend will get murdered if she sneaks out.

Kristina rolled her eyes at the girl with a smile, she appreciated the concern but wanted to go out and have fun once in a while.

"Clary you can't talk me out of it, I'm seeking out. I want to have some fun with my friends, and plus I already got an outfit for the club" Kristina said finally, making it clear that she was indeed coming with Clary.

"Alright, just don't get killed please" with that Clary hung up clearly being busy with Simon. Kristina scoffed and put her phone into her jacket pocket keeping her hand on it. The chat with Clary had lifted her mood but as soon as Clary hung up it plummeted.

Anger was already flowing through the brunette girl, burning her insides slowly with rage. Rage that was building up with every rude comment her way, every dirty look and every curse word thrown at her. Hands clenched into fists Kristina took a deep breath, not wanting to explode in the middle of the street. But that seemed unavoidable as she walked right into a strong chest.

"Can you look where you're going?!" her voice boomed out, she knew she was just as much to blame for the clash but the rage took over her mind.

The man she bumped into held a look of utter confusion, his blue-brown eyes deeply looking into Kristina's own.

"You can see me?" he questioned as if it was some sort of miracle.

Scoffing Kristina chuckled dryly wondering why the man was being so weird.

"Well yes I'm not blind" she answered sarcasm sharp in her voice.

Kristina's eyes wandered the man's body, he was well built, big muscles, broad shoulders. He was clearly athletic. His jaw was strong and sharp, and his dimples showed when he clenched his jaw. Girls definitely went wild for him, Kristina too found herself admiring the beauty of him.

Before he could say anything else she started moving again.

"Sorry pretty boy, I have places to be," she said before leaving the man standing in shock.

Unknown to her, he stalked behind her keeping a close eye on her, getting distracted by her smirk.

A sigh of relief left her lips when Kristina saw her destination, a butcher shop she was far too familiar with. Opening the door she was greeted with a harsh smell of blood.