Chapter 4: The codex

The infirmary of the New York institute was mostly empty, only two girls residing in the quiet room. Clary Fray lay in one of the neat beds, unconscious, and beside her sat Kristina Smith. It had been two days since Kristina and Clary got attacked by Valentine's minions. Although Kristina was lucky and received only minor injuries, her ginger best friend got demon poison and was saved by Adam (the guy she had met outside the pandemonium club).

A book laid in Kristina's lap, the copy if the shadohunters codex was given to her by Jace, and she silently read the information on the worn pages. She had also been given the grey book of runes to study at her request, but that was stored away in her room safely. Upon her arrival Kristina was told that Clary was injured with demon poison and had to heal, the girl demanded to see her best friend but Isabelle and Jace forced her to shower first (since she was covered in blood and still healing).

After seeing that Clary was very much alive and healing Kristina calmed down and allowed herself to settle into the institute. Of course, at first, Alec had protested immensely.

"The institute is not for mundanes," he said to his family right in front of Kristina, who in response grumbled angrily.

"I'm still here ya know" then she slid off her family ring and gave ot to Alec hesitantly, not trusting to the boy. Jace explained what happened at Kristina's apartment and that his suspicions of her being a shadowhunter was proven. After that Alec didn't bring up her mundane history.

That same night Jace gave Kristina a tour of the institute and showed her to her room, which was just across the hall from his, and gave her the codex.

"This has all the information you need about shadowhunters for now, it will benefit you to know some more about what you are" he had stated while giving her the dusty book, its spine was full of memory, the memory of people reading it.

"Thank you" she whispered back to him sincerely, studying the book in her hands.

"Jace" the words had stopped the boy from leaving as he turned to look at Kristina, "my mother told me of a book that had all the runes shadowhunters use, the book of grey I think, do you have that?"

Jace smirked at the girl, slightly surprised she knew about it.

"The grey book, yes we do have a few copies in the library"

Kristina sighed in relief, just like Jace had said, knowing more about what she is would help her, and runes we're a big part of what she is.

"Can I get a copy? I need to learn the rules"

"I'll bring you a copy" with that Jace had left her room, leaving the girl to read the codex, etching the information from the pages into her brain.

Kristina took a deep breath, she expected the infirmary to smell like a hospital, but it didn't. It still smelled like new sheets, and the familiar smell of Clary, of course when there were other injured people here, it smelled more of blood and sweat. But now with the two girls alone that smell didn't linger in the air.

The infirmary also looked more comfortable and homey than a hospital did, which Kristina liked. Walking up here would be a hell of a lot nicer than waking up at the hospital.

Kristina turned a page in her book, the paper sliding against paper being the loudest sound in the room apart from the clock that hung on the far wall. Clary's steady breathing along with Kristina was the only other noise in the room.

But the peace of the quiet was broken when four shadowhunters spilt inside.

"Hey" Kristina greeted them in a soft voice, she bookmarked the codex, shutting it lightly and putting it aside.