Chapter 5: The mortal cup

Kristina walked beside Jace. Simon, Clary and Adam in front of them, leading the way through the corridors of the institute. Kristina loved the institute, it looked so olden, the interior was artistic to her. 

I could take some amazing photos here. she thought before her thoughts were interrupted.

"How do we know this Mick Jagger-looking guy is even gonna try..." Simon started still sour about Clary choosing to stay at the institute instead of going with Simon.

"Mundane, we do not have the time." Jace interrupted harshly, Adam stopping in front of them.

"Come on, Simon. Let's go." Clary encouraged Simon to follow them as Adam started drawing a rune on his hand.

Simon gasped and looked at the dark-haired Wayland boy with wide eyes.

"I know. Trust me." Clary mumbled to him.

"He's, like, burning himself."

Adam walked over to Simon with a roll of his eyes and grabbed his hand, causing panic in the mundane boy.

"Buddy, what's going on, man? I'm not your type, man. I don't even..." Simon started rambling and stopped abruptly when he saw the cathedral as it is, the glamour being stripped away.

Jace and Kristina had walked past them already quietly talking, using the little time of silence.

"Where are we? W-what the hell? Clary, is there a war going on that I don't know about?" Simon questioned ending their discussion of the circle.

"There is now." 

"I think my mother's at the centre of it," Clary answered furrowing her eyebrows, Kristina turned to give her a reassuring smile.

"coming?" Adam asked Clary who was standing next to Simon.

They were outside the training room now, big futuristic-looking screens scattered around the place.

"Yeah."

"What is this place? There's a lot of gear in here. What'd they do, rob a tech shop? So these cold-blooded killers is gonna help us?" Simon bombarded Clary with questions

Kristina rolled her eyes at the boy, calling them killers when they just probably saved his ass wasn't very nice of him.

"They're not killers Simon" Kristina stated

"They're protecting us," Clary added to her statement with a small smile towards Adam.

"Specifically, you two. It's sort of our thing."

"Your thing? You guys have a thing?" Simon, clearly jealous of his crush, questioned.

"He means a Shadowhunter thing. That's what they do, protecting humans from demons." Clary explained

"Demons, right. That makes perfect sense, 'cause there are demons running all around New York."

'"That is the first correct thing you've said all day." Jace sassed.

Kristina tried to stifle a smile of amusement but failed as the corner of her lips twitched upwards.

 A beeping noise came from the monitor closest to them, it showed the front of the institute where an officer was seen, he called out to the door "NYPD" 

"Won't they find us?"  Clary  inquired looking around the shadowhunters 

"No. Our wards will deter them." Jace answered and turned away from the monitor as the police officer called out once again. "And the NYPD will do their typical Mundie thing for a few hours and then the area will be clear."