Chapter 8: Freaky creep Brothers

"Yeah, this place isn't creepy. Not at all." Simon spoke looking around the silent city.

Kristina cackled despite a chill running down her spine. They were standing by a fire, the orange light casting an eery glow on the surroundings. More fires could be seen spotted around the pullers of the bridge, which looked to be decades of years old as vines twisted around it.

"Don't tell me you're afraid." Izzy chuckled

Simon Scoffed

"Are you kidding me? I was born afraid... which sounded a lot better in my head."

Kristina laughed at Simon's awkward behaviour unable to stop herself.

"Let's check it out." Alec's voice came from the front of the group, his head bopping in the direction of the entrance.

"Wait here a minute. I wanna see if it's safe." Jace said turning to face Clary and Kristina, who nodded hesitantly in response.

Kristina's eyes followed the group of shadowhunters as they walked further away. She decided against listening in on them, being respectful to the people that saved her and her best friend.

"I just wish my mom had trusted me enough to tell me about all this." Clary spoke her feelings with a heavy sigh.

While Kristina smiled lightly at the girl, Simon was staring weirdly.

"What is it? What's wrong?"

Looking back to the shadowhunters, Kristina could not miss the glare Alec gave her. With a roll of her eyes, she turned back to Clary. She had been noticing the constant glares and death stares Alec had been giving her. Earlier in the van, he was glaring through the whole car ride. And no matter how caught up by Jace's body warmth and cole proximity Kristina was, she felt the harsh looks.

"How are you not ultra freaked out by all of this?" Simon questioned, side-eyeing Kristina to let her know that the question applied to her too.

"I guess I just always felt like there was something missing. Some void I couldn't quite explain. Things are finally starting to make sense. But none of it's gonna matter unless I get my mom back." Clary explained, the small smile that was stuck on her face faded.

"Then we have work to do" Kristina cut Simon off with a smirk

"Come on, it's all clear. Let's go." Jace's voice drew their attention back to the group, who were now all looking at them expectantly.

Kristina didn't waste another second, following Jace to the rest of the group, who were posted outside the entrance to the silent city.

"You have to understand, the Silent Brothers aren't like us." He spoke, knowing that Kristina already knew what he was saying, and giving her a quick smirk to show it.

"They lack your charm and superior people skills?" Clary asked sarcastically making Kristina snort, and quickly cover her mouth to stop herself from laughing. Clary was right, Shadowhunters were in fact really charming and did act superior which made the comment even more humours.

"Yeah, most people do." Jace answered taking a small pause to give Kristina an amused look "Brothers communicate without using words, using just their thoughts."

With that being said, a shiver ran down Kristina's body. She didn't like the idea of someone entering her mind just to communicate to her, using their thoughts no less.

"That doesn't sound so bad."

"Don't let their silence fool you. They'll hold the Soul-Sword to your head, and with its blade, carve the truth from your mind. If you're not strong enough, you will die."