Chapter 13

Patrick's POV

I woke up to the sound of poppys high pitched scream coming from downstairs. I yanked off the blanket that was neatly tucked around me and sprinted down the wooden stairs. "The fuck" I cursed as my eyes scanned the living room, searching for the girl.

I quickly found her standing in her dads office, next to a large cage that I had never actually noticed before. "He's dead" she said, sadness laced in her innocent voice as she squatted, looking through the small bars. I rolled my eyes, annoyed that she had sent me into a panic over a dead animal. "Who's dead" I questioned, crossing my arms over my bare chest. "Hades... he's all stiff" she said, pointing inside of the cage.

I made my way over and looked at were she was gesturing. In the bottom of the cage lay a large black and white rat. His body lay in a pile of bedding on its side, not moving. "Oh no, my dads gonna be so upset... that was my moms rat" she frowned, crossing her arms. My t-shirt sat largely over her frame, stopping at her thighs. I squinted at her, I had never meet her mom and because she never spoke of one I just assumed she didn't have one.

"Your mom?" I questioned, pulling the latch to the cage and opening it. She hung her head. "Don't be a baby, flower. The other ones still alive" I replied pulling out the living rodent who wriggled against my palm. I turned dropping him in her hands. "Well we gotta get him out" she whined, a look of disgust spreading across her face. I wanted to feel something, maybe a little sadness to make her feel better so she would shut up, but I couldn't. It was just a rat, all living things will die, that's fucking life for you.

"Go upstairs and get ready and I'll get him out and bury him" I said, nodding towards the stairs. She was quiet for a minute before nodding. She pulled the rat off of her shoulder and setting him in the top of the cage, away from the corpse of his now deceased buddy. She gave me one last glossy eyed glance before jogging up the stairs and into her room, closing the door behind her. After a minute the door reopened and she tossed my shirt down to my from the banister.

As soon as I heard the door close I pulled it over my head and opened the cage, pulling out the dead rat. "I'll be back soon" I called up to her as I walked out the door. I knew she would let me back in, she trusted me in some twisted way, plus she was afraid to be alone. The whole walk to my house was quiet, the only noticeable sound was the wind blowing against the trees.

I'm gonna keep him, he'll be a perfect addition to the fridge

Reaching my house, it was no surprise that no cars sat in the driveway. I walked inside and down the stairs into the basement. It was always cold and dark down here, but it was one of my favorite places on earth. A place where I could do whatever the fuck I wanted and no one had to know. Even my mother refused to step foot in there.

I opened the fridge, seeing the rest of my collection and looking to find a perfect spot for him. I decided to place him between a dead squirrel and a rabbit that Henry had caught in the woods last week. I nodded my head, satisfied with the way it looked there. My pets.

I walked to my room, stripped down, and changing into a new pair of jeans before yanking my yellow t-shirt over my head.

Once I made it back to poppy's, I arrived to find her sitting in the grass of the backyard sulking. A white dress was pulled over her body, the bottom of the fabric scrunching as she shifted. I smirked, waiting for her to acknowledge me. "Did you bury him?" she questioned, looking up at me, her big green eyes still teary.

I nodded taking a seat next to her. I grabbed her hips, yanking her into my lap and forcing her down. I usually liked to see people sad, or in pain, but for some reason Poppy was different, even though at times I wanted to strangle the life from her eyes.

She rested her head against my chest without hesitation. "Do you think my dad will be mad?" she asked, picking the hem of her dress. I shook my head "Animals die, Poppy. It's not your fucking fault." I answered. She lifted her shoulders up in an annoyed shrug. "We can watch that stupid movie you like if you want" I suggested, hoping that kindness would be enough to stop her whining. She was still for a minute before nodding.

Pulling me up by my arm, she yanked me off the ground, hurrying into the living room and pushing  the VHS into the tv. She waited for a minute as the tape rewinded, listening as it clicked allowing her pressing play. She shuffled her way back over and sat on the floor between my legs, her eyes locked on the television as the movie began to play. She rested her head against my thigh and wrapped her arms around my leg as music flowed from the speaker. "God I hate this fuckin' movie" I scoffed. She giggled quietly. "I know."