Chapter one: The breakup

*Louis POV*

One mystery I still can't figure out is why some people come into our lives, why some go and why some people become a part of us? Some friendships feel like they'll last forever, and some end far too soon. Not every friendship is meant to last a lifetime. However, what does last a lifetime is the pain when that person is gone. So, it is perhaps the saddest thing when you losethe one you love.

"The greater capacity you have for love, the greater capacity you have for pain'' He said to me as he walked out of the coffee shop that we had agreed to meet in. It was his excuse for getting out of our 2-year relationship. I loved him with my whole heart, and he broke it without hesitation. When he spoke those words, it was like a dream, but no. He really did leave. It was the most painful thing anyone had ever said to me.

In some ways I couldn't help but hope he would turn around and yell 'APRIL FOOLS!' but that never came. He carried on walking until he was out of sight. I was left behind in the empty coffee shop listening to the quiet radio. The cashier at the till had disappeared into the back, so now, I was truly alone. It became a sad echo that slowly drove me to tears. To make my day worse it had just started to rain. I sat by the large window; my sobs now silent but my tears matching the flow of the down pour. 

It turns out Riley, the man I was so desperately in love with, did not feel the same. As a matter of fact, he had actually been seeing someone else for the past 3 months, no wonder why he was so distant. I felt dirty all of a sudden. I knew deep down it wasn't my fault, Riley was known as a 'fuck-boy', but I couldn't help feeling the guilt of not satisfying him. I let out a shaky breath as I reached my phone to call Niall. In times of need, he always had my back. The phone rang twice then I heard his boisterous voice come through the phone.

'Tommo! My man, to what do I owe the pleasure' he practically yelled through the phone. I stayed silent, not knowing what to say, my mind blank.

'Tommo..? You there?' his voice becoming softer and laced with worry.

'yea-yea, I'm here Ni' I stuttered out through broken breaths.

'what's wrong Lou? I can hear that you've been crying' I stayed silent again, maybe Niall didn't want to know about my problems, maybe he thought I was being silly. Niall knew I tended to overreact at the worst of times. Maybe he was tired of my whining and didn't-

'Louis?' His voice broke me from my thoughts.

'what's wrong?' He repeated again sounding even more worried if that was possible.

'He, he's gone. He left me.' My breath now uneven.

'Who Lou? Who's gone?' Niall replied quickly almost blending his words all together. This time I couldn't bring myself to form a coherent sentence, whispering out his name as my tears now choking me.

'Riley.'

'Where are you? I'm coming to get you and we can talk, or not talk, we can do whatever you want. Cuddle, cry or you can rant to me.' Niall rushed out; this is why I loved Niall. He was willing to drop everything to comfort me. He was my best friend and I couldn't have asked for a better one.

'Okay. I'm at-at the cafe near my-my flat.' I sobbed as I fully succumb to my heartbreak. The feeling of my heart being ripped from my rib cage becoming very real in this moment as I realised that Riley wasn't coming back, not now, not ever.

'I'll be there in 10.' I heard Niall say as the phone line went dead. 10 minutes alone, 10 minutes alone with my woeful mind. The radio now hushed due to my loud cries. The cashier still in the back. My coffee cold and the half-eaten cake forgotten. I was still clutching my phone to my ear, too focused on keeping back tears to move it. Another wave of sadness hit as I saw a young couple walk past the window holding hands. The tears now passing freely, staining my cheeks.