Chapter 9)

When Ivypool trudged into the camp she watched as Jayfeather padded into the medicine cat den, she heard Leafpool's voice from inside asking him where he had been.

A green eyed she-cat strolled up to her side and touched her nose to Ivypool's shoulder. "Is something wrong?" The pretty she-cat murmured.

Ivypool looked away from the den and turned to her sister, ready to tell her that she was fine until she saw the worry in her sibling's eyes. "We need to talk about something. Come with me." Ivypool mewed before turning around and leading her sister out of camp.

When they had been walking for a while and could no longer hear the sound of cats talking in the camp, Dovewing sat down and stared anxiously at her sister. "So, what is it?" She asked softly.

Ivypool twisted her head to lick her back, trying to think of a way to tell the pretty she-cat about her feelings for the grouchy tom. "Well, Dovewing, Jayfeather makes my heart beat really fast and he makes my paws weak."

Dovewing froze and stared at her sister in shock. "You're in love with a grumpy old medicine cat?" She mewed, her voice lowered in shock.

Ivypool nodded and shifted her paws. "He's not as bad as he acts. He would die for anybody in the Clan." She dropped her gaze from her sister. "But he just rejected me. He said it can't happen then walked away before I could say anything."

Dovewing padded up to her sister and rubbed her cheek against the tabby's side. "It's for the best. It's against the code for a medicine cat to have a mate or kits." She meowed softly.

Ivypool nodded and pressed her side against Dovewing's. "I know it would've never worked but the way he said it was so harsh."

Dovewing suddenly froze and spun around, her ears perked up. "Shh!" She hissed to her sister. "Someone-" she paused and narrowed her eyes. "Jayfeather is coming."

Ivypool looked at her sister and shifted her paws. "He's coming this way?" She hissed softly.

Dovewing dug her claws into the ground and nodded. "Stay here." She told her sister. "Jayfeather!" She yowled loudly as she raced off to meet him.

After what felt like moons later, Ivypool saw Jayfeather padding alongside Dovewing. The she-cat stopped a few fox lengths away. "He wants to talk to you. I'm going to go hunting, I'll meet you back in camp."

Ivypool didn't take her eyes off of the tom as she nodded. "Okay." She mewed, her eyes scanning his body for any signs of aggression.

Jayfeather sighed and sat down a fox length from Ivypool. She tucked her tail over her paws and looked at him. "What do you want?" She meowed, trying not to sound as hurt as she felt.

Jayfeather flattened his ears and turned his head away. "It's wrong." He meowed bluntly. "You and I can't ever be mates."

Ivypool's heart cracked some more. She drew in a shaky breath before she could respond. "You already said that." She hissed angrily, her claws unsheathing.

Jayfeather flicked the tip of his tail. "That doesn't mean-" he broke off as he turned his head back to lock eyes with her, she felt like he could truly see her and wondered if he could at the moment.

He shook his head. "Before you ask, no I can't see you I can just judge where you are based on the noise you're making." He shuffled his paws. "That doesn't mean that I don't want to be your mate." He meowed. "That doesn't mean that I don't like you the same way you like me."