Chapter 2.2: Write of passage.

Dearest mother and father in another world...

"Aha, I think I can read this now!!" I proclaimed, pointing at the word I assumed meant maid on the sign on our door. 

I am happy to say that my endeavours into learning how to read have been going surprisingly well! It's only been a few days, but thanks to the basic teaching of the alphabet by Hugo and some over night practise, I have finally been able to somewhat guess what certain words may say, albeit only simple ones.   Currently I had the literacy rate of a small child in nursery school- however since I had some basic understanding in how languages worked already from my past life and because thankfully Antoinette did seem to have some brain smarts in her, I was making some fast progression.
"Wow, I mean we were told in the past anyway that it said Maid quarters, but it's pretty impressive when you can actually read it!!" Sana mentioned from behind me as I ignored the snippet on it being obvious and let my pride take over a little.
"Ha!  This is nothing, soon I'll be reading every sign in the manor with ease!!" I announced, pointing to another sign within the room, Sana placing her hands together in amazement.
"Wow Annie! I'm excited for you, I'll be cheering you on!" Sana told me with a small clap.. this girl really was like sweet mother, it filled me with so much hope!
"Hmm... Is reading all that important?" Came Felicia's voice from behind us as the monotonous maid proceeded to finish getting dressed.
"Absolutely! I'd argue that it is a must for everyone, to learn the fundamentals of this world!!" I proclaimed as to this Felicia simply tilted her head in thought...
"Well... we've made it without pretty well so far haven't we...?" She put it bluntly as I felt myself falter for a second. Well, she wasn't lying... but still...
"Well I think it's a wonderful opportunity! No ordinary maid would be given this opportunity so you can count it as being a special privilege, right Felicia?" Sana noted amidst our discussion, looking over to Felicia who blankly foxed her head dress.
"Hmm... I guess..." she replied dully.

I turned my attention from Felicia and back to Sana.
"Hey Sana, could it be you are interested in learning how to read?" I questioned her as for a brief moment Sana seemed a little surprised to hear me ask this... when she then gave a slightly meek smile...
"Ah... well I can't say it doesn't intrigue me... though I don't think I would be able to be lucky enough to be taught like you are Annie..." she replied with a somewhat accepting tone. Though it was this response that sparked a small idea in me as I clasped Sana's hands. 
"You don't need anyone big to teach, how about I teach you?" I then brought up, taking Sana off guard a little.  "I'll be sure to learn all the basics properly, then I'll come teach you everything I have learned!  How about that??" I then asked her as Sana was speechless for a few seconds... before then a rather happy and warm expression came on her face as she then nodded. 
"Yeah, that sounds like a great idea!" She replied happily as I gave a pleased expression in response back, before I looked back to Felicia pointing at her.
"You too Felicia, I'll teach you too!!" I exclaimed to her as Felicia patted her dress down.
"Ah you are loud... you need to learn to read first don't you?" She replied blankly as despite her not seeming so interested, I still took it as a yes as I smiled at her.

Now I was even more fired up to learn how to read and write!  Not only could I learn but I could start to teach the other maids too.  I was thinking more on it on the night previous, but in case of a bad end, Sana and Felicia would also be caught in the cross fire... though maybe if I could educate them, they would want to leave the manor with better jobs before the bad end activated! Well even if there was no bad end trigger, having the maids learn to read really wasn't a bad idea. It's amazing that they had been able to get by doing stuff so far without incident without knowing how to read.  As there friend I had an obligation to now try help them aim for s better life too and avoid the death flags we all unfortunately had!