Ready?

"The Enchanted Lake" as long as Nicole could remember, always had been a magical place. Technically, it was 30 wooden huts scattered on a piece of land between the sea and a mountain covered by dense woodland. A few meters from the coast, a coral reef created a turquoise lagoon whose water, warmed by the sun, was soft and clear. So, when every night the dragonflies flew over the moonlit expanse of this transparent water, the name Enchanted Lake could be understood. A unique place, safe, almost magical, seeming to stop time and the worries of anyone who decided to spend a few days or a few weeks there. Indeed, the space was so large that visitors came for every imaginable reason, some to cut themselves off from the world, some to meet up, some to do all the activities on offer, some to do nothing at all. Employees circulated on electric bicycles wearing different colours depending on their work, blue for the staff, and red for anyone in charge.

Nicole was riding her bike, eyes closed, on a small dirt road, letting the wind gently caress her face and sweep away her red short hair that she had put in a little bun. She was happy, here was her refuge. Since the owner, Randy Nedley, had offered her to come and work, to help pay for her training as a police officer, she had spent the last three most wonderful summers of her life in this small paradise.

"HEY, HAUGHT! Focus. You're gonna fall." yelled Dolls passing by her on his bike.

Xavier Dolls was the owner Nedley's eyes, ears and arms, he was bossy, confident, and a loner. But most of all, he liked to let people know who's in charge. Yet in each of his orders, Nicole always felt a touch of affection and interest that betrayed his big heart.

"Sorry..." yelled Nicole back but he was already far in the distance.

She stopped her bike in front of the last hut and knocked at the door. An old woman opened, looking grumpy until she met her eyes and a large smile appeared on her face.

"Nicole, honey... I'm so glad you're back"

"Me too, I promised and here I am! How are you doing Miss Heavens?"

"Good, I'm doing good, but come on, after all these years? Call me Jane!... Please come, come in, I made some tea!"

"Oh I would love too, but today is THE day of arrivals and we have a lot of work...But...I promise I'll be back when it's quieter, and I'll have all the time in the world for you..."

"No worries, beautiful...Just tell me what you have in store today!"

"We have a delicious homemade smoothie, with almond milk, grapefruit, orange...And of course, your special newspaper..."

"YOU HAVE IT?"

"Yeah! I mean...you asked for the greatest LGBT paper, and the boss made it deliver just for you..."

"You're the BEST...Thank you so much for this...Good luck for today!... And, Nicole, Don't fall in love to fast alright?"

"...Well, I'm not this kinda girl anymore, and I really love my job..."

"AND you need to protect this beautiful heart of yours from the reckless bitches, got it?"

"Alright Boss...Have a nice day!"

"You too Honey! Bye..."

Nicole climbed back on her bike with a huge smile 'cause, despite everything, she had found her people here, the ones who'll love her at any time and mostly when she was just herself. She rode fast but checked with a look that all the activities were set up. She was sporty and feared Xavier's anger, so in less than ten minutes, she arrived at the main two-storey house. She parked her bike, entered the reception, and watched the owner climb down the stairs, looking at all of his employees.