Chapter 2

Zelda tried to hide her excitement as she stormed through the door into the living room. Faustus has proposed. To her, Zelda Phiona Spellman. A slight hint of a smile flashed over her lips. It was time to inform Hilda about the good news.

She found her sister reading in front of the fireplace. Zelda shivered as she remembered Mary sitting in the exact same spot only days prior. The ginger quickly threw the thoughts of the brunette witch away and concentrated on her sister again, who was now looking at her.
“What are you all excited about, Zelds”, her sister asked with a huge grin on her face.
Zelda immediately stiffened her body.
“Faustus has proposed”, she spoke in a rather cold but proud voice.
Hilda looked at her sister, stunned. Her eyes suddenly got huge and she jumped up, hugging the older witch. “Zelda! That’s wonderful news! I am so glad that you finally found your true love.”
“Love”, Zelda asked, raising one eyebrow.
“Yeah”, Hilda was still smiling. “Don’t you love him?”
“I don’t love Faustus! I’m going to accept his proposal but not for love, for power.”

She thought about Faustus. The many times she wanted to convince herself that she truly loved him. Desired him. The truth was, she didn’t. She never had, not in all those years. Zelda felt nothing when she was with the warlock. No pleasant tingles in her stomach when she was in his presence. He didn’t love her. He desired her. Desired her body. He lust for her.

“You wouldn’t understand, sister”, she sighed. “He is the High Priest. He’s all I could’ve ever hoped for. This is a chance, Hilda. An opportunity to clear our name, the name Spellman, again.”
“But Zelds… Don’t you want to, I don’t know, spend your life with someone you have genuine feelings for? Someone who also has feelings for you?” Hilda was worried about her elder sister. She has always tended to act out of impulse.
“Oh and who would that be?”
“I don’t know…”, Hilda whispered.

Meanwhile…

“For Satan’s sake! I just need that book! Where is that damned book”, Sabrina cussed impatiently. She had already been searching her favorite teachers office for about 20 minutes and worried that she’d come back soon. Sabrina knew that her last class would end in a few.
“C’mon…” She ripped drawers open and tossed loose sheets to the ground. “Shit! Where’s that Satan forsaken book?!”
“So, and for which “Satan forsaken book” are we so gingerly looking for?”

In shock, the young witch spun around, almost dropping a pile of papers she was holding in her hands, just to find her teacher leaning against the doorframe, a devilish smirk on her face.
“Ms. Ward…Ms…Ms. Wardwell I-”, she began to stutter.
“Shhh, no need for that.” Ms. Wardwell moved closer, a soft expression on her face. “If you need something, you just have to ask, dearest”, she said, bending her neck slightly to her right shoulder.
“I- I’m really sorry but it was kind of an emergency”, Sabrina mumbled.
“Well, so tell me about that emergency then. Maybe I can be of some help.”

Sabrina was unsure. Should she really tell Ms. Wardwell about her plans? Deep inside she still had doubts about it, but she trusted the teacher.

“I need to borrow your book of the dead.”
Mary Wardwell glared at the blonde witch in surprise. She wouldn’t question the request of course but she’d certainly take advantage of the situation.
“My book of the dead”, she asked innocently. “Well I can surely help you out with that! Unfortunately it isn’t here, but I do have it at my house. If the situation isn’t too urgent, I could bring it over later?”
She watched as a big smile crossed the girls face.
“You would do that? That’d be amazing! I gotta go now. Thanks so much Ms. Wardwell”, she shouted, already halfway out of the office.
Lilith sighed. The day might still take an interesting turn.

---

She exhaled as she took the book from its usual place on the shelf and turned it in her hands. The book of the dead. Zelda would be furious if she found out. Was it really worth it? Worth the risk? No. Doubts were out of place here. If the Dark Lord willed it, she would obey. It was a pleasant coincidence after all, finding Sabrina in her office. Of course she had to clean up after the young witches’ visit but finally she got the opportunity she so desperately needed to get closer to Zelda. The thought of the ginger had never left Lilith’s mind for the past few weeks. Not once. It was annoying, almost. The other woman never had an ounce of kindness for her. So why did she like her? Or did she even like her? She didn’t know for sure. But what she did know was that, for some reason, she cared for Zelda. A few minutes and a cup of coffee later, she decided to not delay it any longer. She had to get going.

Author's note: Heyyy fellow witches and warlocks! I hope you enjoy my story so far! I am not a native English speaker so please excuse any mistakes :) Have a good dayyyy!