Chapter 3

It was already getting darker when Lilith made her way up to the Spellman Sister’s Mortuary, the book of the dead in one hand. Her other hand was busy straightening her tight, red and black marbled dress and then fiddling on the fabric nervously. She took one deep breath before she climbed the last pair of stairs and then knocked at the door. Quickly, she hid the book behind her back, unsure of who would open. After only a few seconds the door was ripped open aggressively.

“Sabrina, how wonderful!”
The woman was glad Sabrina was the one to open up and greet her.
“Ms. Wardwell! You came”, the younger witch shouted in excitement and relief. “Do you have… it”, she asked now in a lower tone.
Ms. Wardwell pulled the book from behind her back and handed it over to Sabrina.
“Thank you so much. I can’t tell you how grateful I am and… I’m sorry that I broke into your office and wanted to borrow the book without permission.” According to the look on her face, the girl really meant it. “I can’t really offer you much right now, since I have to get this thing done as soon as possible but how about you come in for some tea?”
“That sounds lovely Sabrina”, Mary smiled. “I have to talk to your aunt Zelda anyway. Is she around by any chance?”
“Yeah, she’s upstairs, I think. Come in, I’ll get her after I made the tea”, the teenager said, almost in the kitchen already. Mary went inside and closed the door behind her.

She had been in the mortuary several times already but had never really taken a good look at her surroundings before. The house was old. Very old actually. It was pretty dark inside but not uncomfortably dark. The old, wooden furniture, which still did look surprisingly modern, gave the house a really cozy, homely feel. It was the stairs though, that drew most of Mary’s attention. She stood at the very bottom, looking up to the very top. She got the sudden feeling that the house was alive. All the hallways were its veins and the many rooms its vascular. The people living in it were the blood, but everything was leading to what was keeping this house alive. The stairs. The heart. Somehow it was all connected to each other.

Fascinated, the woman watched as a shadow appeared on top of the stairs, fast turning into the graceful body Zelda Spellman’s. One hand on the balustrade, she slowly made her way down, keeping her head held high. The woman was dressed in a long silk nightgown. Only the sight of her left Mary in awe. She couldn’t do anything except stare at the red-haired lady who had no idea that her every move was closely observed.

She didn’t notice the woman until she was already halfway down. Her heart skipped a beat. It didn’t go back to normal afterwards, like she expected it to do, but seemed to pound out of her chest. Was it out of anger, she wondered? She hated seeing her, especially in her own home. A place where she should feel safe, be in control of the situation. Now that she looked at Mary, standing there, in her home, she realized that she wasn’t in control at all. Not of the situation nor herself. The thought of that scared her. No, that was an exaggeration. It truly terrified her. She finally reached the last step, now standing right in front of Mary, their bodies almost touching. Mary didn’t move back. Zelda could feel her hot breath on her porcelain skin. Both didn’t speak, well knowing that words would ruin whatever this current situation was.

Both women cringed by the sudden sound of a loud voice.
“Auntie Zee! I was just about to get you! Ms. Wardwell stopped by to, uh, give me back a book. I invited her in for tea, I hope that’s okay.” Sabrina looked at her aunt with puppy eyes.
“That’s quite alright Sabrina, I needed to talk to her anyway.”
“Oh great! I’m gonna go and meet, uh, Roz then. Tea’s in the kitchen!” Sabrina turned around, grabbed her bag and ran out of the door without even saying goodbye.

Author's note: Soooo chapter 3 is out :) Whaaaat's gonna happen next? Hehe :D This one was pretty short but I promise that the following chapters are gonna be longer again 🥺✌! I have seriously no idea what this chapter is haha! Hope you still enjoy itttt ❤