Plants (Barry)

Barry's P.O.V

I don't mind living with two other men, but it starts to get a little ridiculous with the only thing I see being game controllers, beer cans or bottles, or mail on almost every surface. Nic suggested that we get some flowers to spruce up the setting, and at first, I didn't agree, but now I'm considering it. And by considering it, I mean actually buying a potted plant to change our scenery.

I find a cute little flower shop as I walk around downtown L.A and I cross the street to see the store. I walk into the store and I'm immediately greeted with a strong smell of nature. I chuckle at my own reaction, knowing I should've expected it. 

"Hi, there!" I hear a female's voice behind me. I turn around and see a woman around my age, watering a potted plant's leaves and checking them. 

"Hi," I say, looking around some more.

"If you need any help, just holler." She says, still watering the plant with a squirt bottle. I go to the potted plant section and decide which one would look better in our apartment. I hear footsteps walk toward me and I look up and she's carrying the plant in her arms, placing it next to me. 

"Looking for anything in particular?" She asks, her voice soft, looking at my side profile then back to the plants. I shake my head and she hums. She keeps looking between the plants and me. She smiles and picks up a plant that stands up straight and has green and yellow leaves. The yellow leaves look natural though, not as if the plant is dying.

"This one looks like it suits you." She says, handing the plant to me. I smile at her and look at it. 

"So does talking to the plants really help them?" I ask, looking at her as she touches the leaves. She nods, still paying attention to the plant. 

"Yep. They feed on sunlight, soil, water, and carbon dioxide. We breathe in oxygen which we get from them and breathe out carbon dioxide which they get from us." She looks up at me and I nod. She walks away to the register and I follow her. I grab a little squirt bottle and she rings it up. I pay for my items and she smiles at me. 

"I'm Y/N." She says, sticking her hand out. 

"Barry," I say, shaking it. She gives me a receipt and writes something on it. I see that it's her number and I smile. 

"Just in case you need any tips on how to water your plant and take care of it." She hands me my change and the receipt. 

"Nice to meet you, Y/N. I shall definitely remember to call you for plant advice." I say, walking out of the store. I shake my head, needing time to really process what happened. I smile as I walk to my car, putting the plant in the passenger seat, making sure to not drive too roughly so it doesn't get damaged. 

When I get home, I place the plant in a good spot. Nic and Jermaine see it, raising their eyebrows and nodding. 

"Okay. So now we have a plant." Jermaine says. I nod and look at the receipt in my hands. 

"And Barry has a date, it looks like," Nick says I smile even wider thinking about Y/N. 

"Not yet. But soon." I say, sitting down on the couch, watching the movie they have on. I'm definitely calling her later, there's something about her. Thank God I got a plant today.