Chapter Eight: Date

If there's one thing I can say about Mina Ashido, it's that she will always wake you up at an ungodly hour on the one morning you get to sleep in.

"Are you okay after the battle yesterday?" she asked the moment I answered the phone. "I heard you fought the leader or something."

"Mina, you do realize it's eight-thirty in the morning," I said, rubbing the sleep from my eyes turning on my lamp.

"I've been up for nearly an hour and a half."

"I haven't. I've been up for about twelve seconds."

"Anyway, was it cool? I've never fought a real villain before today, so--" Mina kept talking as I dozed off again.

I heard a knock at my apartment door. I held my phone to my ear with my left hand and a kitchen knife with my right as I cracked open the door.

"Hi!" Denki said, "I wasn't sure you'd be up."

"Is that Kaminari?" Mina said through the phone. Tell him I say hi."

"Mina says hi," I grumbled.

"Hi, Mina," he said.

"Text me after your date," she whispered, then giggled and hung up.

I sighed and glared at Denki. "What are you doing here?"

"So you're not a morning person?"

"Do I look like a morning person?" I motioned to my slept-in clothes and tangled hair. "Mina wakes me up at eight-thirty in the morning to ask me something she could tomorrow and you show up at my door for who knows what. So no, I am not a morning person."

He laughed. "Can I come in?"

"Yeah, whatever," I said and rolled my eyes.

"So what are your plans for the day?" Denki asked after closing the door.

"My plan was to sleep through lunchtime, but now I'm awake." I pulled my hair up into a ponytail. "That's all to say, I have absolutely nothing to do today."

"Awesome," he said. "Go get ready. I'm taking you to breakfast."

"Is this a date?" I teased.

"Maybe."

I smiled to myself as I slipped into my bathroom to change and salvage whatever I could with my hair. As a last-minute addition, I swiped a thin layer of lip gloss and mascara on.

"Took you long enough," Denki said when I was ready to leave.

"Unlike you, I can't just roll out of bed and look good."

He raised his eyebrows. "You think I look good?"

"Maybe."

We ended up getting lost twice on our way to the breakfast place. Denki wasn't good with directions, apparently, and the area was new to me, but we somehow managed to find the place of sustenance.

"It's too early for this," I said when we finally sat down in one of the booths.

"It's never too early for waffles," Denki said.

"It is if I fall asleep trying to eat them," I said. "I need a straight shot of caffeine."

I settled for tea.

"I don't actually know that much about you," I said.

"I'm not interesting," Denki said. "Electric-type quirk, dream to be a hero, kind of the usual things."

"But why?" I asked. "Why do you want to be a hero?"

"Why not?"

"That's an evasive answer," I accused. "No one just becomes a hero because they have nothing better to do."