XXI

Medda is currently performing, she just had an amazing stage presence. The way she fans her feathers and how her eyes light up with the music, it is incredible. All I look like is an uncomfortable toad on stage. I won't have to perform for long though, just a job for now. One day I'll have a penthouse here part of a big law firm. Of course I enjoy dancing around, it's fun, but it isn't how I want to make a living. I should go downtown tomorrow and get some fabrics, and watch some court presiding before Spot comes by. In that case, I better get to bed for an early rise.

Waking up I realize that I still have Spot's shirt, meaning I have his measurements. He only really has three shirts, he could use some more, and how different is a button-up from a blouse? I put on a muted red floor length dress. It cinches in at the waist then the skirt just flows to the floor. It is rather comfortable, breezy. However, the pants Spot loaned me would do better in the winter time, but women don't wear pants. But I'm not traditional like that, I might pick up some corduroy down at the market too. I grab a tote bag before heading to the market square. Walking into a store called Brenda's Jewish Fabric, the walls are lined with all sorts of fabric from around the world. I could spend my whole paycheck here. I might just spend my whole paycheck here, plus the tips I made. I first walked over to the cotton section, I don't have a lot of experience working with it because of the shortage after the Civil War, but there is a plethora here. I grab two yards of this red gingham fabric, a yard of this mock denim, and another two yards of light grey with fine white lines crossing through diagonally. I spent about $3.50 on cotton alone, I then moved onto corduroy, I spent about two bucks on just some brown, and I only got two yards. After paying I put my newly purchased fabric in my tote and headed towards the courthouse. I notice the newsies are just now leaving the distribution center. That gives me about two hours to listen to some cases. Finally, reaching the courthouse I go to open the door and it is locked. Weird it's about 8:30 am it should be open. Shit, today's Sunday. That was a waste of time, I guess I could start working on a shirt. Heading back to the theater, a little defeated, I see Aunt Medda working on her new song. It's Haley's debut, she wrote a song called "Lovey Dovey Baby'' that she would sing to her newborn baby brother. And now it is becoming an onstage production, although we do not talk all that much, I am proud of her. Though I do feel bad that the only time Aunt Medda and Haley can work together are on Sundays and Mondays, the days the theater is closed. Mondays we occasionally have practice, but it is practically unheard of for there to be practice on a Sunday because after Friday and Saturday night you need a rest day. Also, the business isn't good on Sundays anyhow.

After some courteous hellos, I quickly go down stairs to work on Some new shirts for Spot. Also to not disturb their practice time. I start by measuring Spot's shirt and taking about a half inch off the end of each side for a more fitted design. With my measurements written down on a piece of parchment I now have to figure out how to make a button up. Instead of trying to work out a thorough plan I decide that I am going to wing it. I go over to the drawer and under my fabric holder and take out my bags of buttons. The only buttons I have left are some silver and gold buttons my Mom got in bulk when they were on sale. I decide I am going to use the red gingham fabric with the silver buttons, for the first shirt. I also decide to use white thread. The shirt itself is quite straightforward to make, however the connection to the collar is giving me trouble. After about a half hour of fighting with it I have a half-decent collar, and a finished shirt. The collar comes down more than I would like but it looks fine, and at this point all I want to do is give this boy some shirts. I do some final touches like making the button holes with a letter opener and creating a neat folded pattern where the back of the collar meets the rest of the shirt to hide some treads. Now I decide I want to go upstairs and watch the rehearsal, and apologize to Freddy for changing his choreography, but those point shoes just made my ankles ache. But being out of them I can already feel improvement. Now I am backstage heading towards the door to open up to the rest of the theater. I see Aunt Medda interrogating Spot. How long has this been happening? Instead of making a quiet entrance like I was planning I decide I as just going to walk on stage and end the grueling questioning going on.

"Ahem" I say, breaking up the discussion. Spot gives me a look of thank God you are here.

"Deary, whys didn't youse introduce me to him sooner?" Aunt Medda says in a voice a little over the top. I can tell this is going to be a conversation later.

"Just looking for the right opportunity, but I need to grab something from my room, Spot do you want to come along" I say trying to get him out of the situation. He is about to say something when Aunt Medda interrupts him.

"He can stay here while you go grab your things, I need to run over some ground rules with him" she says. I am now running to my room to not leave Spot for too long. I quickly grab his shit he loaned me and the new one, then with the same quickness went back upstairs.