XXV

Spot is getting ready to open the door but he stops for a second. He throws you his hat, "if you're going to play newsie for the day you my as well look the part" and with that he opens the door. To show a common area that is quite a mess, garbage is everywhere, littered with empty liquor bottles. I turn to look down the hallway with Spot just pounding on the doors. Within seconds the boys were out of the rooms and getting ready. They all were listening to Spot, he really does rule this place. It is hot. Can I say that? Of course I can. Now I put on the hat that Spot gave me. I have to admit I look good in it, and Spot notices too.
He leads me over to the trashed common area and whispers in my ear, "You'se look good dollface." This causes me to blush beyond belief and he knows it too. Something tells me today is going to be full of remarks like these. Now he grabs my hand and leads me to the Brooklyn distribution center. I hear a few cat calls from in the distance, but the foggy morning prevents me from seeing who did it. Spot's grip tightens, and pulls me closer. This causes me to erupt in a giggle.
In soon enough time the gates open and he comes back out with 100 papers. He stands on the statue waiting for the other boys to collect theirs. "Sellin' starts now boys" he yells into the crowd. He jumps down from the statue and looks at me, "And youse are goin' ta learn the ropes from the best" he hands me about a quarter of the stack. I read the headline, Trolly Strick Begins seems like a good headline. It could turn some heads. But as I am thinking that Spot is screaming on about how all transportation must come to a halt. Instanly a group of middle aged people fluster around him buying into the fake headline. A way to cause mass hysteria, I might add. I am going to sell these papers without lying, and I am determined to do so. Luckily I have assets that help, I can go up to any sad looking man and he'll buy three. Just to talk to me, I learned this trick in Pittsburgh when we had our school bake sale. I sell my stack in about a half hour, while Spot still has about half of his. I take this time to laugh at him. And give him the change I gathered. I earned quite a lot of tips because I exploiting sad people. Feeling victorious I run around in a circle, but something catches my eye. A small grey kitten is sitting underneath some stairs. I want it, to not scare the kitten away I sneak up behind it and grab it. It is so small and soft, I can pet it forever. But when I start walking towards Spot he looks less then pleased.
"I take you'se out sellin' once, and you are out here tryin' ta rescue a cat"
"I'm keeping it"
This causes any instantaneous sigh, "I'se know I am not convin' ya to put it down. Whys am I so soft round you." Again this causes face to grow bright red.
Spot is selling his last paper now, while I just hold the now sleeping kitten. Spot and I are heading to the docks where he plans on getting in target practice. He sits on his thrown lining up some shots. One of the smaller boys is setting up some bottles on a plank in the distance. The boy walks over to Spot, and he give the small newsie three pennies. "Get yourself sumptin' to eat, zoom." The boys eyes light up only to be returned with a glare from Spot. Zoom runs away and Spot begins to line up his shot, a rock is then flung, shattering the first bottle. He then hits the second one, and continues to hit them until he reaches the last one. His eyes piercing, lining up the final shot, and when he is about to release I whisper bullseye. This completely messed up the shot. I burst out laughing waking up the grey kitten sitting on my lap.
"You'se think your funny, dollface. Let's see whose laughin' later" he says in a deep voice, sending shivers down my spine. His hand rests on the small of my back, and he starts to pet the car on my lap. Unfortunately the cute moment is disturbed by rain pouring down from the sky. I take off Spots hat and covers the kitten, before running to the lodging house with Spot. He leads me upstairs to his room instantly, the rain hitting the top of the house. It is pouring, and it doesn't look like it is going to stop anytime soon. We sit in his bed.
"Would you mind if I stayed over again" I say not wanting to walk the tow hours back home.
He smirks at me for a second, "You're always welcome here" he says in a hush tone. The kitten transfers from Spot's hat to his lap. His tenses up as the little fluff ball starts to rub its head against his stomach.
"Well pet it" I say and he obliges.
"I'se don't like people tellin' me what ta do" he says in that low hushed voice again.
Instead of showing weakness I decide to give my attention to something else. Like the other boys, I go around to the little ones to make sure they are okay. The kid from earlier Zoom and I have a conversation. Eventually the other boys begin to talk to me as well. At some point one of the smaller boys, he was obviously new to the lodging house asks, "are youse goin' ta take care of us (Y/N)." This makes my heart melt, he is so precious. He couldn't be older then six
"Whenever I can. I say to him." The small boy then gives me a big hug. Spot decides to make his appearance now, taking the next to me. The child is now sitting on my lap and I give a small chuckle. However the child laying on my lap causes him to raise an eyebrow to me.
I get to know all of the boys pretty well, that night. But at some point we have to go to bed. I hope Aunt Medda understands that I cannot make it home tonight, and that I am adopting a kitten.