XXIV

Spot is not coming down today, he says he is going to have a game night with the other boys. Just gives me some more time to sew my new performance dress. My green one is getting a little boring, but it still works. I just want to mix things up a bit. However I am out of sequins, but Aunt Medda just bought me a ton of silk. I could make a glorified night gown, that shouldn't take any time at all. At least I thought it wouldn't, although the dress itself isn't sparking, I added an incredible amount of detain. Mostly white lace on the bottom and the neck line. Also, silk is a material I am not familiar with so that came with complications. Overall though I think I it lacks the pizazz for a show dress. However it is also to short for a casual wear, it doesn't even reach my mid thigh, and the slit up the side of the dress makes it too inappropriate. The top of it is cute though, I can tuck it into a skirt and no one would know the difference. the top has a lower neck line then what I am used too. The wide V neckline hits right Bellow my collar bone. Besides I don't have baby blue in my vast wardrobe so what's a little collar bone.
Before I know it Claire is knocking at my door, but barges in anyway. She looks me up and down in my failed attempt of a show dress and winks at me. "You look nice, don't cha" this causes both of us to laugh. "But your on in about a half hour so Ides decided to help you with your hair"
The performance goes as planned, same song as always. I went on yesterday too, I am embracing the idea of being a show girl. Of course I still yearn to be a lawyer but, it is never bad to have hobbies. Expecially when you can take advantage of drunk people's wallets. Hey, it helps me support my fabric shopping addiction. And Spot likes all the new shirts he is getting. I've even moved on to making some shirts for the younger boys. I make them oversized so they can get a few extra years out of them.
I should surprise Spot in Brooklyn! I quickly change out of my tutu and put on my new top and tuck it into my new muted pink skirt. I originally made it for Aunt Medda put I accidentally messed up the measurements. So she couldn't fit it. It goes well with the outfit. I tell Aunt Medda I am leaving. She gives me a kiss goodbye and I was on my way. Spot is going to yell at me for walking alone at night again. I will admit I do not like the queasy feeling I get, but what are the chances I get killed.
Significantly less than the chances of me seeing Racetrack and Claire making out on a bench. That is blatant PDA but I am happy that they were able to work things out. Instead of being awkward and saying 'hi' I decide to walk faster. Much faster, I don't want Claire to know that I saw her and Race. Moving along rather quickly I eventually make it too the Brooklyn bridge, I can already see the lodging house lit up. I climb up the fire escape and in though the open window. I can hear the rowdy boys though the door as I am about to open it I realize this is crazy. Spot is having a boys night, I cannot just barge in. That would be weird, I barely even know the Brooklyn newsies. I've met some of them, like Pete. But he is always in the Bronx. I've met Sam but he is a spy in Harlem. Most of the little boys are Spot's 'birdies' as he calls them. Unfortunately they are the only ones I am familiar with, and would not be in Brooklyn.
So I do what any sane person would do and camp out in Spot's bathroom. Well, bathroom is a strong word, it is a closet with a sink and a toilet with about a foot or so of space between them. My closet is bigger than this.
I did this to myself, I came to Brooklyn to crash a party where I know one person. Every once and a while I think I should just go in. But what if Spot is made at me for inturpting his guy time. I would be fuming if he walked inturpted girl time. I'm just going to camp the night out in this bathroom. That being said I begin to over heat in my skirt, so I take it off and start to use it as a pillow. I eventually I fall asleep, even against the noise form the other room.
Waking up the next morning is weird because I am greeted by Spot looking down at me with a look of disbelief. "Whys are youse here? How'd ya get here? Why didn't you announce your presence? And where are your clothes?" Still looking down in disbelief.
"I didn't want to disturb your guy time" I say
He gives a little chuckle, " I guess that's true, but I need more answers. Like where is your clothes. I mean it's nice, but that's more of an alone outfit" he stops himself from continuing, "I'm going to stop talking. Something about you just makes me loose my filter"
Should I push him, make him want something he can't get. I get up from my position on the floor, and flatten the extremely short dress against my thighs. I stare into his icy eyes for a second, and get on my toes to get at eye level. Our faces are just inches apart when I say, "just cause. What are you going to do about it" I have no idea where this confidence is coming from. But the next thing I know is I am backed up against the wall and he is breathing heavily.
"What will you let me" I shouldn't of teased him. Because now I need to tell him that I think it's too early for anything.
"I actually just um, had this tucked into a s-skirt. Its ju-just too early to do anything. You know" all of that confidence, gone. I'm not sure if it is because I am nervous to reject his forwardness. Or if it is him pinning me against a wall. But the restrictions are quickly released.
"Okay, I understand" he shifts in his pants a little, "I'se am not goin' ta force ya"
"Why don't I help you sell today. Since I am already here. My as well makes myself useful." I say hoping to make the whole situation less awkward.
"Whys not. But I don't want to ear' any whining from you" he shifts he pants again, "It's hard work"
I put on my skirt tucking in the top. "I can do it"