XXII

We give a quick goodbye to Aunt Medda as we leave, to get Spot out of an awkward situation. However as soon as we are the the streets together he acts like nothing had happened. His chest is puffed out, portraying utter confidence. At this point I take the shirts out of the messenger bag and begin to hand them to him.
"Here is the shirt I stole from you back" I say, handing him. "But I also noticed you don't own a lot of clothing so I made you this" I unfold the shirt to reveal it too him.
He softens his face a little bit, before tensing back up again, "This is the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me." Really? If this is the nicest thing wait until I make him some more. "I'se am goin' to wear it till it's thread bares."
We continue down the road when I ask to sit down on a near by bench. My ankle is acting up again, it is better than what it was but I have learned my lesson to not over look it. "What are your plans after you get out of the orphanage?" I ask him.
This causes him to look up at the sky for a bit before making eye contact with me again. His piercing, blue eyes staring at me makes me feel like the only girl in the world. "Ideally, I'se own a restaurant. I love to cook, and I'se cook for the little boys all da time." That is so sweet, and who would of though Conlon a cook? "But most likely, I'll work in a factory til my dyin' day" now he is wearing a grown. But quickly changes his demear to a harder exterior. "What bout you?"
My eyes light up, I love talking about my passions. "A lawyer, in family law, but I am currently focusing on law in general. But I am also happy with dancing at Aunt Medda's" I can tell he has something to say about it.
"You'se sure dat will work out for ya" he takes an uncomfortable cough to lighten the situation, "a goil lawyer is unheard of"
" Arabella Mansfeild had been practicing since '69" I give my rebuttal.
"It's goin' ta be hard" does he not think I can handle it. As long as I get a good education it will be stupid not to hire me.
"I have what it takes, okay" it's crushing that he doesn't believe in me.
"I know ya do, but can da world take you?" He says sighing just a little bit.
"There is only one way to find out"
"True, well do you'se like what you're doin' now? Dancing at Irving" he says, "because I like watching you"
This causes a blood to flush my cheeks. "I've been dancing since I can remember"
"But do you"se like it?" He asks again.
"Of course I do, I love it"
"Maybe later'ta you can give me a private show" he says with a wink. I cannot tell if he is being sarcastic or serious, but I hope it is the first one.
"Only if you make me" I say returning the sass hoping I don't accidentally agree to something.
He seems to be having fun, "and how's would I do sumtin like dat"
"You would have to be re-" I am cut off by a strange man whistling at me. This causes Spot to immediately grab my hand.
He whispers in my ear, "If anyone makes you uncomfortable, youse tell me. I'll soak em'" this is the good kind of protective. When you do it for the other person not just to assert dominance. It took me too long to realize that. But now that I have it, I don't know how I mistook any of Steven's actions as 'cute'.
"I don't want you to get up" I say, so he doesn't beat the man to a pulp. Also his hand around mine feels comforting, I could be here forever.
After sitting on the bench talking about silly things, like birds, he start walking around Manhattan again. At this point we run into Mush. At least that is what Spot calls him. He is a rather muscular and is traditionally attractive. I understand why Claire had a thing for him. But apparently I was staring too long and that caught Spot's attention.
"Keep your eyes on the prize goily" he say, motioning to himself.
I give a little chuckle before squeezing his had for a second. Followed by a harder squeeze from Spot. This continues for quite some time as we walk. It feels as if my hand is going to fall off, but that will happen before I let Spot win.
I want us to go on walks all the time.