CHAPTER 20

“I can’t believe I came for Anjali’s wedding without makeup” Indira said as she and Riya stepped out of one of the hotel’s restrooms where she had gone to wash the rest of the chocolate cream off her face.

“I’m with my makeup kit here. You can use…”

“No” Indira shook her head. She was dressed in a long gown that covered the burns from her chest to her feet. “We’re already late. Anjali won’t be happy” Indira said as they sped towards the hotel’s entertainment hall where music from loudspeakers emanated. Like men possessed, they ran up the stairs. Indira said, “I won’t forgive myself if Anjali and her husband have completed their vows by the time we get there. I mean, it’s almost like missing the… ”

Indira stopped midstride. She stood in front of the wide entrance to the hall. And felt her heart miss a beat. Again, it missed another beat. What am I seeing? The rate of her heartbeat increased like she was in the middle of a stampede of bulls that were headed her way, ready to crush her into fine molecules.

Riya reached where Indira was standing. Breathing breathlessly, Riya said, “Why’re you standing here? Won’t you enter the..?” Her eyes moved to the centre of the hall where the wedding ceremony was ongoing. No one had noticed she and Indira ‘cause all eyes were on the bride and the groom. And the eyes of the wife-to-be and husband-to-be were on each other. “Lord Krishna” The words rushed out of Riya’s mouth.

Then Indira started moving. Entering the hall with tears sliding down her cheeks.

“Indira” Riya called.

But, it was as though Indira’s ears had suddenly gone deaf from the shock she just received. She tried pulling Indira’s hand. “Let’s leave” Riya said. But Indira kept on moving. Her heart, cracking each second as she strode to the biggest traitors of her life – Anjali and Raj. They were the bride and the groom. Her favourite cousin and the love of her life were getting married. And out of the blues, a fierce vise wrenched her heart and she thought she would collapse at that spot and die from shock. Intense shock. Massive unexpected sudden shock to her heart and mind.    

At this time, everyone in the hall had noticed her, including the about-to-be wedded couple. Whispers filled the room and the music stopped. Indira halted in front of her Raj. Tears cascading down her cheeks. Her soul, slowly shredding to pieces with the aid of an invisible axe.

“Why?” Indira whispered. “Why?” She couldn’t even yell. Her vocal cords were shivering from shock.

Then Anjali moved from where she was standing beside Raj and stood in front of him, facing Indira. “Why what?” Anjali fired. Her eyes, blazing like molten rock, livid and single-minded in their purpose. The way Anjali’s eyes were raging with contempt and disdain was a side of Anjali that Indira had never seen before.

“He doesn’t love you” Indira said “he can’t love you. He has known me much longer than you” Indira’s lips quivered with the only thought her muddled mind could make up.

Anjali shook her head and folded her arms “that’s wrong. I’ve known him quite as long as you, if not longer. On the night of your fire accident, where did you think I was?” Anjali cackled, “I was with him. That was why that day he hurriedly sent you away to my mum’s place to make room for me” Anjali said.

And the last piece of Indira’s heart that Raj had not managed to break the previous night, fragmented. That was why that day he hurriedly sent you away to make room for me. And the worst kind of cold gripped Indira, making her feel desperate to get warm however, she had a feeling that even if she bathed in coals of fire, it still would not melt the chill attacking her. Her beloved cousin. And the man she always dreamt she’d spend forever with.