CHAPTER 15

"Tristan! Tristan!” Indira yelled.

Her nurse was pushing her wheelchair down the hallway towards Tristan’s room.

Tristan. Wait for me.

I’m sorry. I love you. No matter what you feel for me, I’ll accept you. Just please don’t die. Please don’t die.

The nurse opened a door and pushed the wheelchair through the doorway into Tristan’s room.

“Is that…?” Indira stammered, pointing at the body on the bed.

Each person in the room began leaving.

Tristan.

Tristan.

“Are you Miss Indira Kapoor?’ A bespectacled man in his fifties asked.

She nodded weakly.

“He left this for you” He said and handed her a note.

Tristan.

Tristan is dead.

The nurse pushed her wheelchair towards the bed where Tristan’s body was.

Indira pulled down the sheet that covered his face. “Tristan” she cried. She was late. Late to save her love. Too late to tell him how she truly felt. And at that second, she felt her heart fracture. Fragment into a billion pieces that could never be put together again.

“Hah!” She wailed as she opened the note Tristan left for her.

Dear Indira,

I admit that when we first met, I cared for you out of guilt, but after you nearly lost your life four nights ago, I fully understood how the feelings I have for you were no longer as a result of guilt but love. ‘Cause with guilt, I could still desire to exist in a world without you. But with the love I have for you, existing, breathing or desiring to live without you by my side is impossible. Hence, since you said you would die at 10 am, I decided to die first. I could’ve died after 10am, but an extra second in a world without you is truly meaningless, therefore, I’m departing now.

So much hurt have I inflicted you with, that nothing I do would ever make me worthy to receive your love.

But please, never say I never loved you.

Tristan.

And the last tear gland in Indira that had been trying not to burst, exploded and an ocean of tears rained down her smooth cheeks.