CHAPTER 8

6 DAYS LEFT

“Hip! Hip! Hip!”

“Hurray!”

“Hip! Hip! Hip!”

“Hurray!” The crowd chorused.

“Thank you”

“Thanks so much” Indira repeated, blushing.

Tristan threw her a surprise birthday party here in the ‘poem house’.

“Happy birthday” Jonathan, one of her new friends on crutches said.

“Thank you” She responded.    

“This is too much” She faced Tristan “how did you get the money for this?” she said, looking at the food and drinks Tristan bought and had delivered to the ‘poem house’. The drinks were excess. The food, surplus. There were even waiters, dropping the meals right in front of you. And to top it all, there was a gigantic seven-layer cake with not only her name but also a doll on it that looked very much like her. The room was beautified tonight. Wonderfully decorated with materials and colours that were heaven-like.

“I’m twenty nine”.  Gosh. She was almost thirty. She felt like an old woman. She looked at Tristan, hit his arm “do you still love me now that I’m an older woman?” She asked jokingly.

Tristan touched her lips and let his blue-grey eyes gaze into hers, “I love older women” he replied and kissed her right then.

The entire room burst into thunderous claps and whistles.

Indira grinned. This was her first birthday party in nine years. Since her birthday after she lost her legs, she stopped celebrating it with a crowd ‘cause while the lips of the huge crowd congratulated her, each person’s eyes sang of pity towards her. And she hated being pitied.

So, instead, on her birthdays, she laughed and joked with the Foundation employees and Riya’s friends. However, here in this room, among others who understood her victories over her pain in the last years, her twenty-ninth birthday was awesome. Glorious. Wonderful. ‘Cause when they looked at her, they truly celebrated with her. Truly rejoiced with her. She was alive, able to share her ordeal at the hands of fire and motor accidents, an experience many have died from.

“This is the best thing anyone has ever done for me” Indira said to Tristan and added, “every day, I love you more and more”.

“If so, I can’t wait for tomorrow to see how much more you’ll love me” he said.

Indira giggled.

And as her joy covered her side of her face, he hoped and prayed that Indira never finds out that he was the cause of her pain. Her downfall. And her agony.

Please God, let her never find out how I tore her life apart. He beseeched.