Prologue

Sixteen year-old Lydia Veronica Joyce Deetz had always wondered what it would be like if she had ghost powers of her very own like Adam, Barbara, and Betelgeuse all did. Her thoughts had been nothing but images of her with ghost powers and she often talked about having them. And that, of course, worried both her dad and Delia. The Maitlands were equally worried, not wanting to know what Lydia would be like if she had ghost powers. So they tried to get her to think about something other than her having ghost powers.

It wasn't worth it. The Maitlands would get Lydia to think about something else before she went back to thinking about how better her life would be if she had ghost powers. Not knowing what to do, they turned to Charles and Delia for help. But all they got out of the Deetzes was to ask Betelgeuse for help. They said he'd know what to do.

And that was exactly what the two ghosts did. Adam quickly drew a door to the Netherworld using a piece of chalk that he found laying around in the attic of the house and Barbara moved to knock on it, stepping back as the door creaked open.

"Adam?" Barbara turned to face her husband, the tone in her voice a little nervous. "What if Betelgeuse doesn't know what to do to cure Lydia of her obsession with having ghost powers?"

He let out a sigh, rubbing his forehead. "He's Lydia's best friend. I'm sure he'll know how to help her out."

"If you say so."

They entered the Netherworld, panic running through their minds. What if Barbara was right? What if Betelgeuse really didn't know how to help cure Lydia of her strange and unusual obsession?