chapter 12

{ Mikey }

*

I was debating on whether to punch myself in the face or not. I was torn between my good mood and my bad mood. Thing is, I didn't know which was stronger.

I was pissed off because my parents were fighting. They'd started fighting in the middle of the night and had woken Alex up. He was terrified at first but he managed to calm down in my arms, and after the hours of fighting, he drifted back to sleep. I knew why they were fighting, and I wasn't sure whether to blame it on myself or not. I was the one that told Dad about Tom, which got him drinking, which got him to hit me, which caused all the arguments. It was really fueling my bad mood.

But then, I'd made Alex feel good and that was making me smile a little. Even though he was hesitant at first, everything had gotten better as we went along with it. And it had made me feel happy, real fucking happy to see that he was mine and he was feeling good because of me. And that was making me feel happier than I should.

"You ok?" Alex asked, He'd crawled behind me as I sat on the edge of the bed, and then he wrapped his arms around my stomach. His fingers traced up my chest and I sighed.

"I think I'm gonna go talk to Mom and Dad,"

"What? Why?"

"I dunno..maybe because they scared the shit out of you last night?"

"They had reasons to be fighting," he murmured; leaning his head on my back. "Dad was upset,"

"Yeah. And I got a black eye to prove it,"

Alex sighed and then pulled me down. Laying next to me, he snuggled closer to my chest and proped his head up to stare at me with his chidlike eyes. Then he asked me something that I honestly didn't know the answer to.

"Should I be scared of him?"

*

{ Alex }

"Hey kiddo," Dad smiled as he came through to my room. Mikey had gone for a shower and I was just laying in bed trying to catch up on the hours of sleep I'd missed last night.

Dad looked hungover as fuck but then I didn't blame him. If i had a kid then I'd go ape shit if I found out someone was hurting him or her. I guess it'd probably be a guy though. I mean, I was bisexual but I preffered guys over girls so I couldn't exactly get a girl pregnant. Therefore if I had the chance to adopt, I'd want a boy. I guess I'd just wanna protect him.

Dad came over and sat on the edge of the bed, pulling the blankets away from my face as I refused to look at him. He sighed and reached for my hand, stroking his thumb over my knuckles.

"Alex I don't want you to be scared of me," he said quietly. I could see the worry in his eyes. It was like he really did care about me now. "What I did last night..it was unnaceptable. I should never have hurt your brother. I'm going to do whatever I can to make up for it,"

"I'm sorry," I whispered; causing Dad to look at me with confusion.

"What? Kid, you don't have anything to be sorry for."

"But..if I'd told you about Tom..then Mikey wouldn't have had to lie and then-"

"Hey, hey, hey-" he leaned forwards and shook his head; holding me tightly in his embrace. He cupped my face and sighed. "None of this is your fault, ok? You've got to start beleiving that. Alright?" I just nodded. "Ok. So..you know it's Tom's funeral tomorrow, right?"

"Yeah," I said awkwardly. "Do i have to go?"

"Do you want to?"

I shook my head and Dad smiled a little. "You don't have to do anything that you don't wanna do. But, what you do have to do is tell me what you want for your birthday. This time next week Alex, I'm running low on ideas."