3 | Kindness

More of a fluff chapter - the next one will be a LOT different....
Enjoy! Love ya <3 ~ Owl

~~~

-Darryl's POV-

I emptied the contents of my hands onto the table in front of Zak. Several bandages, plasters, an ice pack, a towel, a pair of tweezers and some disinfectant. Zak gave me a confused look. "You're hurt Zak, don't you think you should take care of that first?" I asked kindly.

Zak jumped up from his chair and away from the desk, sending his English book flying off the edge of the table along with some stationary. He grasped frantically at the ends of his hoodie, desperately trying to pull them further and further down, even though they already covered his hands. "W-what d-do y-you m-mean?" he stuttered, distress printed on his face.

Why is he so scared all of a sudden? Why does he pull at his hoodie sleeves so much ? Is it a nervous habit?

I try to remain calm. "I meant your face. It's cut and there's a splinter in it" I reply nervously.

"Oh. I know."

"Then why haven't you done anything about it? Haven't your teachers said anything?"

The short boy scrunched his face and let out a sarcastic snort.

"Pfft. You think teachers care? Please, they just care about my grades, and as you know, those aren't the best."

Zak was still stood with his hands gripping his hoodie sleeves, his fingers turning white under the pressure. Rocco returned from the cupboard and came to nuzzle his head against the shorter boy's leg, sensing something was wrong. The short boy smiled weakly at the dog, reaching out to pat the dog whilst still holding his hoodie sleeves over his hands.

Zak returned to his seat, plastering a smile back on his face as he picked up his battered book and everything else he'd throw of the table in a panic. He smiled at me sarcastically. "C'mon then tutor. Are you tutoring me or not?" He inclined his head in the direction of my empty seat.

I wasn't generally stubborn, in fact I'd like to think I was the opposite, but I could tell this boy needed my help. I wasn't going to let him brush off that injury. It won't get treated otherwise I'm sure.

I crossed my arms and stared into his chocolate eyes. "I'm not starting until you clean up your face" I said stubbornly.

"You'll be waiting here a while then" the younger boy huffed.

"I stay on site in the dorms, I have all day."

"I don't have anywhere to be either."

"Won't your parents get worried? You're not old enough to live alone."

"Not at all. They don't care about me. They wouldn't care about my injuries eit-"
Zak held a hoodie sleeve in front of his face, realising what he'd just said.

So my suspicions were right.

I sighed sadly at the nervous boy. "That's my point exactly Zak. Nobody else is helping you. Not your teachers, not your parents, or even your friends it seems." I glanced at him sadly as I spoke. "So please, let me help you."

Zak stares at me in silence for a few minutes. He hugged to dog at his side tighter as his face contorted.

At least he's debating my offer.

Zak sighed deeply, his eyes drifting to the medical supplies I'd spread on the table. "I don't even know how to use some of this stuff, and there's no mirror in here."