29 | Betrayal

. *Life is not about who's real to your face. It's about who's real behind your back... . *

~~~

Ahaha scary title.
Love ya <3   ~ Owl

~~~

-Darryl's POV-

That's it.

I throw on my leather jacket, hastily shoving my keys in one pocket. Too many times have I trusted that he was telling the truth.

Not anymore.

It's because I care. At least, that's what I keep telling myself as I fight the urge to not go. It's like I'm fighting a war in my head, but the enemy is myself.

He's probably at home.

No. He disappears specifically on Tuesday and Saturday. At the same time. He's always acting weird on Wednesdays, like he's drunk.

He told you he wasn't going to those parties anymore.

He's lying to me.

Zak wouldn't lie to you, would he?

Would he...

It hurts to think that, but I'm left with no other choice. He won't tell me where he went, and I can't help but think it's to one of those parties. I know it's none of my business, but I'm worried.

Images of last time I saw him at a party flood my head. It feels so long ago, when I found him unconscious on the pavement outside Zelkam's. He was hurt so badly. I'm scared that's happened again.

I know that there's a party at Vincent's. You couldn't possibly get around school day to day without knowing when and where the next party is. It's at Vincent's, right now.

Zak and Vincent are best friends again, I think. Part of me would like to think that Vincent will keep Zak safe, but I know that's not the case. Last time they fought each other they were so drunk, landing Vincent in jail, Zak almost suffering the same fate.

I'm worried about him.

I plug Vincent's address into my phone as I exit my apartment. Someone taps me on the shoulder as I turn around to lock the door.

"Darryl are you ok?"

I'm faced with Callahan, who's watching me with a look of concern plastered across his face. "I'm fine." My keys get stuck in the door, and I pull at them in anger. This wasting my time.

Arms grab mine, pulling me away from the door. Callahan steps in front of me, holding me at arms length. "Darryl, calm down. Just breathe." I swipe angrily at the door, still trying to grab my keys. "I don't have time for this Callahan!"

He pushes me away from the door. "Darryl. Darryl." He snaps his fingers in front of my face. "Darryl. Listen to me. Calm down. What's going on?" I watch him in anger as he pulls my keys from the door with ease, one arm still pushing me away. I sigh. "It's Zak. He keeps disappearing on the same night and I think he's at the party." Callahan rolls his eyes at me. "You think? Darryl, I know he's at the party. He was talking to the host of it earlier about it!" My eyes widen in alarm.

So I was right.

I lunge for the keys in his hand. "Give them to me!" I yell at him. Callahan moves back a step, holding my keys above his head so I can't reach them. "Darryl are you being irrational? He's allow-"

"I know he's allowed to go Callahan! But he told me he wouldn't! And last time he did, he got really badly hurt!"

I must look like some rabid animal. My teeth were clenched, face contorted into an angry snarl. The taller boy sighs, handing me back my keys. "Fine Darryl" he huffs. "But you're not going alone. You can't deal with parties, we both know that."