Unexpected Visitors

A loud crash sounds from upstairs and we all stop.

"What was that?" Aaron demands.

"It sounded like someone kicked through the door..." Lucinda replies.

"EEEE! It's the murderer coming to get us!" Kim screams, hugging herself. I run over and hug her as well, needing the support as much as she does.

"Shush, Kim, calm down!" Garroth orders.

"I'm gonna go check it out." Aaron says firmly.

"Right behind you!" Garroth crows quietly.

"Same." Lucinda chimes in.

"I'm in!" I say, though my squeak at the end doesn't help my case.

"Are you guys crazy? It's what he wants!" Kim cries. We all run up anyway, leaving her behind. We wait for her a few seconds, until we hear a "ohhhh, wait for me!" and we start moving again. We cautiously creep up the stairs, and once we reach the main floor again, we crouch behind boxes and peer through.

"Oh my Irene!" Lucinda breathes. Oh my Irene is right. There are two wolves, complete with bright red eyes and long white fangs, prowling the floor. And a woman robed in red, her green eyes glinting, is watching them.

"Those are wolves!" Lucinda hisses.

"Shh!" I say. "They'll hear you!"

"Should we shoo them away?" Garroth suggests.

"Oh, yeah, just let me grab a fly swatter!" I whisper-scream.

"Not a good idea." Aaron interrupts.

"Those look like they could tear us apart." Lucinda breathes.

"We're dead!" Kim mourns.

"Shhhh! Calm down, keep quiet!" Aaron orders.

"We're dead!" I squeal, and one of the wolves looks our way. I cover my mouth when the wolf growls.

"Shh!" Aaron repeats. "Let's hope they don't pick up on our scent."

We watch them for a minute more, and my heart drops in my chest when one of them starts sniffing our bags, and then the air around it. But my heart stops beating entirely when my oaf of a brother screams,

"AAH-CHOO!"

Growling starts instantly as the wolves hone in on our position. I smack my brother's shoulder. "Garroth, you boob!" I hiss.

"We're so dead, we're so dead, we're so dead, we're so dead, we're so dead!" Kim says sadly.

But as the wolves get closer, they suddenly stop and turn towards the red-dressed girl. She doesn't say anything, but she waves and they follow her to the door and out of the lodge. She stops once to look back at our cluster of boxes, then turns and walks out.

"Whew!" We all breathe a sigh of relief.

"You boob!" I repeat, smacking him again.

"I'm sorry!" he wails.

"That was way too close." Lucinda says as we all come out.

"Tell me about it." Aaron says.

"I'm so sorry." Garroth says sadly. "I almost turned us into dog food!" He shakes his head and turns to Kim. "Uh...Kim?" She looks up, her eyes wide and fearful. "Kim!?" Garroth rushes towards her.

"We could've died..." Kim says weakly. Then she faints dead away.

"Kim? Kim!!" Garroth yells.