You Should (Never) Be Alone/Will You Be Here For Me?

Too short by themselves---so combined.

_______________________________________

No.

"AARON!" Garroth screams, using more strength than I thought he was capable of to throw me off like a paper napkin. "AARON--NO!!!" He screams, pain filling his voice as he runs for the cliff, knocking Aphmau aside. She's shaking her head hard, like she's trying to clear her mind.

I run for Garroth at the cliff, but he dodges and runs with all his might.

"L-let him g-go!" Ein yells, laughing so hard he can't speak. "He'll---r-return---soon." He wipes a happy tear away, and I find myself REALLY wanting to kick him someplace he won't appreciate. Garroth's form disappears in the snow, and I follow his steps to the edge of the cliff.

I can't see anything but a tiny dot of red at the bottom.

This can't be happening. This can't be real. Aaron can't be... he can't possibly be...

I swallow back a large amount of vomit. But SHE turns to Ein with a grin. "It is done, brother."

"Good." Ein purrs. "Aphmau, dear. Come here."

"Yes, my...m-my..." She seems to fight with herself for a moment, and hope swells in my chest, but she just chokes back laughter and grins. "Yes, my love." She walks to him and he hugs her tight.

"Let's go see the wonderful deed we have accomplished, shall we?" He says, glancing from me, to Zane, and Aphmau again. "Violet, you accompany me and my love to the scene. Zane, you patrol the woods. I have a feeling that idiot Garroth will be back."

"Yes, brother!" Zane says, running off.

"Come." Ein takes hold of Aphmau's hand and we pick our way down the mountain. All the way there, Ein talks about how great he feels and how amazing his plan was.

It makes me sick.

Especially when I notice the small dot of blood on my otherwise daisy-yellow sleeve from when I held Garroth down. I made my brother bleed. I'll never forget the look of betrayal in his eyes. Never.

Vi---

I hear someone calling my name, but it cuts off as if I'm hearing it through static.

Violet---

It cuts off again, and she keeps walking.

Violet, can you hear me?

And suddenly, I can't see Ein and Aphmau ahead of me. I'm pulled inside my mind, through her, into a blank white space where everything echoes, and I can move my arms and legs again. I look around in amazement, but all I see is a woman standing with her back to me, wearing an elegant purple outfit, a hood pulled around her face.

"Wh-who are you?" I ask. I hear the question echoed to my right, and I automatically turn to see a boy laying in a bed, his skin clean and clear of the blood that I saw.

"Aaron!" I shout, elation pumping through my body. He doesn't turn my way, focused only on the woman who I now see is standing by a fireplace. I look around, finding myself in a snug little cabin, complete with drying herbs, a roaring fire, and windows that lead out to show a bright white light I can't see past.

"An old friend." The woman tells Aaron, not acknowledging me. "You always managed to get yourself into trouble, every once in a while."

Aaron makes a sad groaning sound. "Am I...?"

"Well, yes." The woman admits, and my heart sinks, tears blurring my vision. He's dead. So why am I here? Am I dead as well? Did the potion kill me?