I Love You Aaron

~one week later~

The snow has melted, and the lodge has been cleaned to the last speck of dust. People crowd the lodge, checking in and out, loving the experience more each time. Kim's currently stationed at the desk, checking a new person in, while I try to hide behind my hair as Garroth, Zane and I sort through luggage.

I hear a couple talking for a while, and I tune them out until I hear--- "I just heard a rumor that someone died here last week."

Garroth, Zane and I all go still, and I know each of them are reliving every heartbreaking moment in their minds.

"---literally died." The guy says, and Zane and I look at each other. What I can see of Zane's face is twisted in pain.

"They say he was murdered." The guy continues.

"Murdered?" The girl repeats.

A new guy joins. "I think it was an Ultima."

Garroth drops his bag.

We all turn to stare at them without any shame. If they start to guess...

"An Ultima?" The boy repeats. "That old werewolf story? That's just a myth!"

"No, apparently it's true." The guy swears. "There was a Meif'wa running around town yelling about them. It's attracted a lot of attention to this place."

The wife yells something to the husband and he chases after her with "Uh---baby-honey- scrunch-mcguffin----I didn't know!"

Garroth turns to Zane and I. "Do... do you think Aphmau is going to be okay?"

I tug my hair in front of my eyes. Every time I look in a mirror, I'm terrified I'll see the green instead of my vibrant purple.

"I...I honestly don't think so." I admit quietly. "After everything..."

"Nobody will ever be the same." Zane mumbles.

"Zane... Violet..." Garroth starts.

"It's... been hard to talk about it." Zane says. "But... when I think of what she went through..." He glances at me. "What everyone went through."

"Guys, talk to me." Garroth pleads. "You can talk to me about anything."

Not about this.

"Garroth... " I start, but I can't force myself to finish. A silent tear escapes my eyes and I furiously wipe it away. I don't deserve to feel sad. I don't deserve any of the worry I see in Zane and Garroth's eyes.

Garroth puts a hand on Zane's shoulder, and then mine. "I may not understand you guys completely... But I'm here to talk and try to... I'm here for you, Violet. Zane."

"G-garroth?" Zane whispers in surprise.

"I haven't been the best brother," Garroth admits.

"I just..." I wipe another stubborn tear away, feeling my nose burn as I try to hold it back.

"You can tell me whenever you're ready, guys." Garroth promises. "You don't have to tell me now. I just want to let you know that I am here for you."

But you don't know what I did. What I've done to Aaron, how I ruined him! I want to scream. Aph may has used the knife, but I stood by and LET IT HAPPEN!!!

"You----I---we---" Zane looks to me and takes a deep breath. "You have no idea, Garroth. What it felt like to be under someone's control. It was..."

"Horrible." I whisper, my voice cracking. Goosebumps appear under my skin, and I rub them to get them to go away.

"Not only that...We were completely aware of what we were doing. I saw him hit Aph, and... " He starts crying just enough that he has to gasp for air. "There was nothing I could do about it."