Chapter 3

"Calm down honey. It's me, mom. What happened?"

I stood frozen in shock, but my panic died down when the shadow of the owner of the voice solidified into a familiar figure. It was mom and the person holding me at the shoulder was my dad.

"What happened Samantha? Why were you shouting so loudly?" Dad asked from behind. I finally let out a breath. The knowledge that I was alive slowly settled inside me.

"I- I" I cleared my throat, "got scared. When I woke up, I called for you both, but none of you responded. And then, when I heard that... guttural sound coming from nowhere, I just started imagining... things." I tried to explain, not caring if I succeeded or not, I was just too relieved to know that I was fine.

Mom started laughing and I could feel myself blushing. Dad came in front of me, knelt down and hugged me as if I were a child.

"Honey, you don't need to worry. We are here. Understand?" Dad said reassuringly.

Even though I wasn't a little child anymore, just hearing the words 'we are here' from him stirred a warm feeling inside me and I instinctively felt safer.
I nodded.

"But what was that sound?" I asked, eyeing dad first, then mom.

"That was your sister Sami. She is feeling a little sick." Mom replied.

"Is she okay?" A drawn out, sleepy voice came from behind me. It was Sam, who I think was woken up from my maniac screaming.

"Yes Sam, she is alright. She just overate and her stomach started aching. She had to vomit a couple of times, but we think she is fine now. The nanny is taking care of her." Dad explained, worry was evident in his voice, but he did a good job of hiding it from us.

I was starting to feel much better now, so I asked what we would do next. Dad said that since it was already late, we couldn't go out in the dark. All of us agreed and had our dinner instead. We played some board games before I felt tired again, sometime after midnight and went to sleep.

You're allowed to get exhausted twice when you've been sitting in car for twelve freaking hours.