Chapter 6

I wanted to shout, but I was choking on my breath. So I did the next most sensible thing, I tried to wake my dad up. I screamed, begged him to wake up even threw the water on his face. But he didn't budge! My mom, Sam and Sami slowly started moving towards me from inside the mirror. My heart, which was about to jump out from my chest, didn't allow me any other body movement. I just screamed more hysterically and desperately tried to wake up dad, but all in vain. I looked once again at the mirror, and suddenly they stopped moving. My mom smiled at me in a way that looked more like disgust and reflected hatred. Her smile pierced my spine with cold creeps. The motherly love that always glowed in her eyes was nothing more than a long lost memory.

The realization struck me; I needed to escape! Without giving it a second thought I ran towards the nearest place I could find- the bathroom!

As soon as I reached inside the huge bathroom, I bolted the door close. Just as I did, I heard a loud noise, which sounded like that of a shattered mirror. Then creeped into the bathroom a shrill, horrific scream. I dare not open the door. I stayed glued to it and for a split second there was deadly cold silence which striked me as the silence before the storm.

The very next second I felt a huge bang at the door, which was enough to destroy the whole room in one blow. My head banged hard against the door with such a force that I thought this was my end. But I found myself alive and the bathroom was intact! For some reason, which I could not figure out at that moment (and I still can't), the bathroom, so not the place that should make you feel safe, felt safe. Safer than any place I could think of. It felt like someone or some force was protecting me and trying to help me out. The blows got stronger each passing second and I could feel my body flying away in every direction, but I remained alive.

And then... it all became silent again. I lay sprawled on the bathroom floor. A sweet, womanly voice, which sounded familiar, called me from outside the door. Blood rushed into my head, as I recognized the voice. The voice was of my mom!

"Samantha? Dear, open the door. It's me, mommy. It's all okay outside darling. You're safe out here. Open the door and come to mom. I will protect you. No need to be afraid. Come outside honey." The voice rasped.

Relief washed over me like sweat on recognizing that familiar voice. But the fear had rooted itself so deeply inside me that without even thinking for a second, I stood up and rushed to open the door. Through the crack of the door, I tried to see if it was her.

The voice inside me that chanted that I shouldn't do it, was proved right. It turned out to be the worst decision of my life.

My mom's form -no! The power wearing my mom's form, changed in the blink of an eye and the evil charged towards me. Somehow, in the split of a second, I was able to close the door. My heart thundered. I breathed loudly from my mouth. Another voice came from the other side of the door. However, this time, it wasn't my mom's. It was another lady- like voice, which asked me to open the door. But when beats passed and I still didn't, its furious voice reached me through the door, warning me if I didn't open the door, she would kill my mom.

Panic rose inside of me, or maybe it was the thought of losing my mom that I opened the door. From the sliver of it, I came face to face with a beautiful lady, dressed in red. A red gown, dark red lipstick, flushed red cheeks, but extremely dark eyes...wait! There were no eyes!

"How do you think I look?" The woman asked in a high pitched sing-song voice.

"Y-Y-Yo... you look beautiful. Very much." I gulped and managed to stutter out between the panicked bouts of air I was taking in.

"Oh yeah? You think so? What do you think about my eyes?" The lady slowly whispered menacingly, enunciating every word. And then moved rapidly towards me, ready to rip off my flesh.

I cried and closed the door again, just in time. I could not understand, how on Earth was I able to perform such swift actions? Somehow, I could do all of that and it was making me afraid of my own shadow. I felt unsafe in my own skin. But there wasn't time to think. I knew I wasn't safe for very long.