Chapter 4

NEXT MORNING

"Ready for the hills kids?" Dad asked us all.

He was in dark brown shorts, a green t-shirt and white baseball cap with a huge bag -jammed pack with god knows what stuff- on his back. He literally dragged us all out of the cottage. I had never seen him this excited. He actually seemed to radiate energy that energized all of us. Not to mention, we showed a little too much of it, a little too soon.

"Huh...huh...aaagh!" All of my excitement was drained shortly after we started hiking. Man the hills were damn steep!

"Dad let's just stop here, I am exhausted!" I managed to say between heavy breaths.

"Yes dad. Pleeease let us take a break." Sam said in that timid voice of his.

"Come on kids, you shouldn't be exhausted this early. We have just started." Somehow, dad was still full of energy.

"But honey, I think we should take a small break. Look at the poor kids. They're really tired." Mom said, while she tried her best to not sound weary herself. To which, Dad responded with a chuckle and finally agreed to take a small break.

It was anything, but a break! Breaks according to me were at least ten minutes long, that provided you with enough time to catch your breath, relax yourself and prepare for what was going to come next. And not two minutes of 'refreshment time'!

For the rest of the journey all of us, except dad, struggled really hard to keep ourselves walking and managing not to collapse in the middle of nowhere. After a couple of hours of brutal walking, we were finally on top. Finally! It took the greatest efforts and my complete will power to reach here. I wish I could put this much effort for my Physics tests.

By now even dad seemed to be tired. But it was all worth it. The view made it all worth it. The thousands of lush green trees on the distant mountains which were staring at us with thousands of their eye-like flowers, seemed like nature's pure miracle. The air smelled of earth and it took me to a place of my own that seemed to be unknown yet familiar at the same time. It all looked so ethereal and yet so ordinary.

We found an apt place to seat ourselves for a while. After having our 'special' mountain lunch -which was nothing more than sandwiches- playing a few games, collecting souvenirs (and by souvenirs I mean some oddly shaped stones), and exploring the local greenery, we set off again. But this ride downhill didn't exhaust me as much as the uphill walk did. Soon after a couple of hours we were already near the cottage! I can't say I was tired, for I was completely drained of every last bit of energy I had. Dad, on the other hand who had regained his energy by now, said that we would go to the lake next day! That made all of us groan at the same time and amused Dad.

And stupid I thought that simply doing non-exhausting activities together was spending family time!