18

Patton

I watch as Virgil lays down on the floor, rambling about how Logan and Roman should just watch and that hopefully it will explain. While he does this, Midnight is running around him, ready to climb on his chest as soon as she can. Logan looks at me as if asking me for some kind of explanation. "Just watch."

Midnight lays herself down on top of Virgil the way she usually does, head laying on his chest where his heart is and the rest of her just splayed about across Virgil. 

Suddenly, after a moment, Midnight quickly gets up and starts purring and rubbing her face against Virgil's. I don't know what to be more confused about; the fact that Midnight can tell what's going on just from listening to Virgil's heartbeat, or the fact that Virgil can so easily make himself panic. 

I shake Virgil's shoulder, trying to wake him up from his nap. As much as I'd love to let him and Midnight nap longer and as much as I know he would love that, he can't sleep too long during a nap or else he won't sleep at night.

Virgil turns, whining and holding Vivi closer to him. "Virge, c'mon buddy. It's time to get up. We have guests coming over soon, remember?" I remind. He grunts in response, carefully turning around to that he's facing Midnight. 

"It's time to get up, kiddo. Don't make me bring Logan in here." I threaten, knowing that Logan will definitely just pick Virgil up out of bed and carry him into the living room. It won't wake him up for sure, but he's more likely to wake up if he's not in the comfort of his own bed. 

That gets Virgil up. "I up 'at'on, I up. No hav get Logie." I smile as he sits up, trying not to disturb Midnight. He rubs his eye with his left hand, holding Vivi with his right arm. "Who comin ovew?" He yawns immediately after asking. 

"Well, remember the friend from high school I told you about? My little friend?" He nods, rubbing his other eye. "They're a caregiver now too and has a little. Both of them are coming over today and we thought that while we talk and catch up, you and Thomas can play and get to know each other?" I suggest, hoping that he won't be against the idea. "Hm.. oky.." 

"Joan! It's so good to see you again! And this must be Thomas." I hear Roman say as I walk down the stairs, Virgil clinging to me like a koala as I carry him.  "It's been a while, how've you been?" Joan asks, walking into the living room while holding Thomas's hand. 

Thomas asks Joan a question, then runs over to meet me and Virgil at the bottom of the stairs. Virgil turns so that he can see something other than my shirt. "Hi! I Thomas. What you'wre name?" Thomas greets, smiling at me. "Hi, Thomas. My name is Patton," I smile back, "and this is Virgil. Say hi, kiddo." Virgil mumbles out a 'hi' and waves slightly before clinging back to me. 

I walk over and set Virgil down on the floor where he usually sits, back against the couch so that 'nothing gets him from behind and nobody can look over his shoulder without him knowing'. If he sits anywhere else then his anxiety goes off the walls. Thomas walks over and sits himself down not that far from Virgil, but enough to give him space. 

Joan

"So this is Thomas then?" Logan asks, crouching down and greeting Thomas. Patton says something to Virgil and comes over to talk with Thomas. Since Thomas is being occupied by talking with Logan, Roman and Patton, I walk over and sit down by Virgil.