six

may was dropped off at the front of the school by her brother and his friends

may was dropped off at the front of the school by her brother and his friends. she said her goodbyes before walking down the empty hallways. no one really showed up to school as early as may did. her feet lead her down the hall and to the immediate left. the library. it would be odd to see the girl anywhere else.

she quickly sat at the back table in the corner, setting her backpack on the chair next to her. may pulled out the book she had been reading for the past few days.

everything was quiet. the room was muffled with silence as may drowned into the images of the words in front of her. her eyes traced page by page, falling in deeper with every syllable. the perfect silhouettes of each character floated around the busy mind of the girl. she could picture them so well the more she read.
reading wasn't only mays favorite pass time, it was her get away. she filled her mind with hopeless adventures to take away from the sad reality she lived in.

"may!" someone yelled in a deep yet cheery voice. she looked up to see richie walking towards her. she gave a shy smile before looking back down at her book. her throat ran a bit dry.

she wanted to listen to patrick, but she couldn't seem to stay away from richie. would patrick be disappointed in her? she hoped not. may needed a few more friends, everyone knew it.

"what's up babe?" he smiled, grabbing the chair across from her and flipping it. he sat backwards on it and rested his arms on the back of the chair. may blushed lightly, shutting her book. she shrugged.

richie wasn't expecting an answer. he didn't mind that may didn't talk, it actually intrigued him. he wanted to grow close with the girl. to gain permission to peel back the steel walls may hid behind.

"so, ive noticed you eat lunch in here,"  richie gestured around the library as may nodded her head. "not today."

may lifted her head up fully, looking at the playful smile on his lips. she scrunched her eyebrows together, patiently waiting for richie to continue talking.

"you are going to eat lunch with me and my friends," may noted how richie didn't ask her if she wanted to eat lunch with him, but stated. she liked the quiet surroundings of the library. it kept her calm, and made all of the panic she felt on a daily bases vanish.

the old, metallic bell rang through out the library, making may jump a little. first period was beginning. without looking at richie, may placed her book back into her bag, and slung the strap over her shoulder.
her feet carried her away from the table. may gripped her backpack strips tightly for comfort as she maneuvered through the crowded hallways.

"may!" richie called after her. his backpack hung loosely from his broad shoulders. forcing it to sling around in every directions he walked. may sighed and pressed her eyes closed. she stopped walking.
richie grinned and quickly made his way over to her. gently placing his hand on her shoulder as he stood next to her. the two proceeded to walk to class with each other.

patrick's warnings pounded against her skull, sending shivers of hesitance down her spin. she always listened. may wasn't taught to do anything else but listen. but she couldn't shake how warm richies smile was.

 but she couldn't shake how warm richies smile was