My Pain: Chapter Five.

I take a deep breath trying not to insult Amina in front of her husband.

"Come on, seriously. If it was you what would you do?" she asks him.

One thing I know about myself that I really want to change is the fact that I never back out of an argument, never. Meenah and Salim are used to it but some people aren't and doing this in front of Halim was not an image I want, I have alot of respect for the man.

"What is the argument about?" he asks his wife who had both her feet on my lap.

"We just finished watching prodigy, and what I'm saying is that..what the mother did is kind of justified, koh?" she asks.

"I thought you said you watched it ages ago, or that never happened?" he asks raising his eyebrows.

She smiles "Let's just agree that she's right". She says trying to divert the topic.

Someone knocks the door.
"Come in" Meenah says.

"You can't just say come in-" Halim gets cut off when Salim enters.
"It's because I knew it was Salim".

To update you on everything, Halim doesn't like Salim, he thinks it's not right to be hanging around with women but the honest truth is Salim hangs out with his male friends a lot more than he hangs out with us now, honestly I just think it's jealousy.

"I'll just work in the study" he gets in.

Salim sits, I doubt he notices how Halim leaves the room every time he is around.

"Hey pregnant mami"
"I will insult you! Where is the girl you said you'd introduce us to?"

"We broke up".
He made the mistake of his life, she started nagging.

::

I sat down looking at Abdullahi who was boiling with rage.
Abbi called us home, I was staying at anty Harira's house.

"What does he want to tell us?" he asks.

"Calm down, I'm sure it's nothing to worry about".

Abbi comes in wearing a plain white shirt and a blue three quarter, I know it's not what you would expect a 64year old man to wear but lately he feels likes he's 20.

"I can see you took your time"
"Is that why you called us?" Abdul asks.

"It's about Suhaiba, you're here because I need your support"
Abdul rolls his eyes.

He turns to me "I've been thinking for a week and a half now and I've come to a conclusion, I'm marrying you off".
"What?!" Abdullahi and I ask in unison.

"Yes. You're at an age where you can and you will".
"But Abbi I'm not ready, at all".

"Do you even know who it is? Will you agree if it's someone you like?"

"She won't accept anything! Not now!" Abdul says furiously.
"It's Atiku Aliyu".

AND I pause, hold up! Atiq?
That should have been the first thing he said.

"That does not change that she won't-" I cut Abdullahi off.
"Does Uncle Aliyu know and accept?" I ask trying to avoid Abdullahi's eyes that were filled with disappointment.

"Yes. We've done our part, now it's up to you and Atiq, we've already decided it should be two months from today"
I couldn't explain how happy I was, it was like at that moment I forgave everything Abbi has ever done to me.

We come out of the living room quietly. Abdullahi didn't say anything since I cut him off but I was so desperate to take advantage of the opportunity.

"Next time, don't ever say I was never there for you, just know that I was there when you made the biggest mistake of your life and you pushed my help away, I won't tell you I told you so, I'll just pray it's what you hoped for".

"But-"
"But? This was why I never stood by you when we were younger, whenever I tried to, you would shut me down. So I stopped and let you blame me but not anymore, now everything is on you" he walks out.

..

I sit back nervously, Abbi told me that Atiq was coming too see me and I've never been more excited. I was trying not to look too excited about it though, I'd hate it if he thought of me as anything but shy and innocent because he likes that in a girl, I bring out my phone and start playing candy crush so I wouldn't look like a creep desperately waiting for him.

I didn't even raise my eyes to look at him until he sat down across me.
"That was quick" I say with a smile, not too wide though.

He only looks at me but says nothing.
"Don't do this to yourself" he says.
I raise my eyebrows in confusion, what was that supposed to mean?

"I don't want this arranged marriage thing" he says with the coldest expression I have ever seen. Atiq is usually frowning and he always looks pissed but this was just different on a whole different level.

"And why not?" I ask offended.
"I just don't, not now and not to you?"

"Not me? Then who?"
"Just not you, I'm in no mood for this".

"Do you think I want this too? Huh?"
He smirks "Of course. The excitement was written all over your face. You want it...But I don't".

I look at him with tears filled in my eyes.
"Is that why you're talking to me like that? Why did you have to change the way you talk to me? Am I that horrible to be with?"

He huffs.
"Or is there someone else? Someone you love?" I ask but not really hoping for an answer.

"I don't love anyone, I never did and I never will. Not everyone is born with the ability to love, care and feel emotions towards people".
"You can...with the right person".

"There is no right person for me" he says it with a straight face like he was reading a script.

I turn my head away, was he intentionally doing this to hurt me?
"You know this isn't my choice, you should know".

He looks at me with that same blank expression "Okay" And that was how we spent the rest of our time together thinking about God knows what.

.....

.....