My Pain: Chapter Eight.

The wedding preparations have been going on well but something about everything just feels seriously off.

I lie down on the living room couch going through my camera roll and came across Amina's wedding picture.

That's when I remembered. Amina!
I quickly dial her number but she doesn't pick up. Then I called Salim.

Hello?
He says giddily.

I have not been able to talk to Aminah. Do you think she's avoiding me? Can you try calling her? Maybe she might pick up yours.

How can a woman who delivered just 2hours ago have time to call you?

What?!

You didn't know? I thought maybe you called because you wanted to know the room number.

Can you pick me up on your way there?

What are you talking about? I've been here for over two hours. I even saw her baby, so cute.

Which hospital?

I'll send you my location.

I'll be there soon.

Okay. Till you get here.

I end the call.

I can't believe Amina couldn't even call me.

*

Luckily I meet her mother outside.
"Ina wuni (Good Afternoon) mama" I greet her.

"Ahh finally, Suhaiba where have you been? When Halim called and told me she delivered I thought you and Salim would be the first people to get here but I didn't see you. Did you two fight?"

"No. We didn't"
"Well then hurry and go in"

::

I could see Salim and Halim standing by a door looking in. It looked like they were having a conversation.
I tighten the grip on the basket I'm holding and walk over.

"Halim?" I call him when I get there.
He turns around and smiles when he sees me, but the smile seemed different, it seemed awkward.

"Welcome" He says still smiling.
"Hello there!" Salim hugs me before pulling me in.

Amina was seated on the bed, she looked so tired but cleaned up.
She had the same smile Halim had on his face.

"Congratulations" I say hugging her slightly. I didn't want to hug her too tight and hurt her.

"Thank you, I'm glad you're here" she says.
"Same here".

"So have you seen my niece?" Salim asks all hyped up.
"Why didn't you call me?"

"How can a woman giving birth think about calling anyone?" Salim asks sarcastically.

"Yeah. I was busy trying to get a baby out of me" she jokes.

But I was dead serious, I felt so stupid. How can I not know that my best friend was in labour?

"Then how did Salim know?"
"Well since I told Salim I was almost due he always called and he visits at least twice a week. When I was in labour and we were on our way to the hospital he called and asked us where we were, apparently he was already parked at our gate. Halim told him and he raced to the hospital. He was here when I delivered".

"Come on. I couldn't let you do it alone even though I was sitting at the reception".

"It doesn't change anything, whether you're in the room with me or reception".

I was getting pissed, really pissed.
"So why didn't you tell me you were due?"

"I told you. The last time I saw you but you were too busy with your wedding so I thought I'd leave you with it, you didn't need to be bothered"

I didn't say anything else after that. I was the one at fault I didn't have any right to complain.

::

I flop on the couch.
It was a very exhausting day, I didn't get on my way home until I drove behind on the convoy to take Amina home. I wanted to make it up to her.

"You look tired"
Ya Kamal and Ya Abdullahi walk in. Abdullahi was anything but glad to see me.

I can't believe I let this marriage issue get in between my relationship with my brother and my sister-like best friend.
They sit on the couch across me.

"Back from the hospital?" Kamal asks me.
"Who is in the hospital?" Abdullahi asks.

"Amina delivered today" I say.
He freezes, completely. Just staring at the carpet like he heard the worst news possible.

"You don't look happy to hear it".
"No I'm sure he's just excited for her. That's how I get too sometimes" Kamal speaks up for my brother who was still in a trance.

"Okay. I'm going to go in" I get up and get in. Unfortunately meeting my mother in law coming out of my father's room.

"Where are you coming from at 10pm?" She asks with her arms crossed.

"The hospital, Amina just delivered".

She smiles "I'm sure you can't wait for yours".

"You as well"
"No. Why do you think your father and I clicked quickly? I hate children and he understands me. In fact he gave me 2 reasons why he'll never have children"

She was talking about Abdullahi and I. She smiles and walks away. I just can't wait to leave this house and finally be with Atiq. I smile thinking about it.

..

Amina opens the door and smiles when she sees me.
"This early morning? Why aren't you sleeping?" I ask.

"You know this girl will never rest" Halim says from inside the house.

"Come in joor" she says getting in leaving the door open.

I enter and close the door behind me.
The first person my eyes lay on is Hauwa, she's Amina's oldest and only sister.

"Anty hauwa" I say excitedly hugging her.
"Suhaiba? How are you? And wedding preparations?" She asks when I pull off.

"It's great. When did you arrive in Kaduna?"
"This morning. I had to come see my sisy and my neice as soon as possible".

I sit next to her.
"And how are the twins and triplets?" Anty hauwa has five children, twins and triplets. She says she's done having kids.

"They're good, the triplets are 6 now so I can travel without them. It's better now".

"I'm sure. Anyway my wedding is in a month I hope you'll make it".

"No doubt".

Amina walks in giggling and dragging her feet, Halim was walking behind her saying something.
She just kept smiling.

"Anyway I have to go out now, I'll see you all later" Halim says when she nudges him.

"Bye" Hauwa and I say in unison.

Minutes later the mood became intense, Hauwa had tears in her eyes and Amina was comforting her. I felt so lost. Whatever it is they didn't want Halim knowing about it.

"I'm sorry to come here with my problems meena" she says crying.
"Come on. Who else will you tell?"

I look at Amina lost "What is going on here?"
"Her husband wants a divorce"

I gasp.
"Oh no!"

::