Chapter 15

If Eren weren't at the sanctuary, and I alone received the order to divert the human soldiers away from our location, I wouldn't have thought anything of it. It would've been another duty to carry out. Nothing more than that. But things had changed. It wasn't just me anymore. There was someone here that was more important to me than anyone else, and he was the one that would be in charge of this operation. Even when Eren was the strongest alpha I'd ever encountered, uneasiness gnawed at me until my stomach lay in knots.

So many things could go wrong, and I would be helpless to stop it.

A sound must've escaped me, a small noise of distress, because the next thing I knew I was in Eren's arms. He didn't comfort me the way an alpha would comfort their omega. There was no nuzzling or silent touches to reassure me of everything. He simply looked at me straight on and said, "You're coming with me," because he knew that's the only thing that would satisfy me. The only thing I would accept.

With his eyes on mine, I pulled myself back from the brink of panic. I had no other choice under these circumstances. If I wanted us to find a way to live through this ongoing war, then I had to fight.

I would fight.

"I know I am," I replied.

"Is that a wise decision?" Erwin said from where he knelt on a training mat, his blue gaze trained on my alpha. Eren turned around to regard him, his scent conveying emotions his face hid well. "Don't get me wrong, Levi is an amazing soldier, but in his current condition he could be a liability. Are you willing to risk his life for the sake of his pride?"

It shouldn't have surprised me that Erwin mentioned my deteriorating condition in front of my entire squad. By doing that, he forced me into a corner. Now I had no other choice but to admit my health was less than perfect, which would compromise the agreement he made with Eren. In his own clever way, Erwin was taking back the control he relinquished when he allowed me to retain my position as captain. It was only a matter of time before he snatched it back entirely.

"I'm not a liability," I said, sure to keep my voice even. I wouldn't sit here and do nothing while he tried to condemn me. "I'm just as capable as I was on the last expedition." That wasn't entirely true. My body ached in ways it hadn't mere days ago, but that didn't mean I was weak. Pain was something I'd grown accustomed to. I wouldn't let it hinder my abilities.

Erwin opened his mouth to speak, no doubt to reveal more truths that would work against me, but Eren cut him off with, "Say one more word to provoke my mate, and I'll leave this place with him. I'm sure you figured out by now that I no longer require your assistance, nor do I need your protection. The only reason I'm still here is because of Levi. So, if I were you, I would think carefully about what you have to say next."

To everyone's surprise, Jean snickered, drawing everyone's attention to him. He didn't seem bothered by that. He said, "Well, fuck me for saying this, but if this alpha decides to leave, I will follow him."

"As will I," Farlan said, surprising Isabel enough to cause her to turn her head in his direction.

Eren dismissed them with a wave of his hand. "I have no interest in becoming your leader."

"You say that like it'll stop me," Jean said. "FYI, it won't."

"We don't have time for this childish squabbling," Erwin intervened, sounding exasperated by this whole ordeal. "If you're going to do this for the people taking shelter here at this sanctuary, then you'll have to set out within the next few hours. You, along with a small group of your choice. That's all it will take for this task to be accomplished. I'm certain that once the human soldiers catch sight of you, they will follow you anywhere. All you have to do is lead them away from the path they're currently on."