Chapter 22

Eren

I should have known that leaving Levi behind would be anything but easy. Even when it was safer for him to remain here at the sanctuary, I wondered if he would be able to cope with the effects of his heat alone. The strain his body endured this past week could prove to be too much for him, and it was my responsibility to take care of him until he recovered. Maybe it would be better to call this whole thing off. How could I leave my mate at a time like this? When he was at his weakest? He needed me more than ever now.

So do Armin and Mikasa. You failed them once. You can't do it again.

Resigned, I sat down on the bed next to the curled-up lump that was Levi. There were vivid marks on his neck. Fair skin stained red where I'd bit and sucked on it. I clenched my teeth as unbearable pain welled up in my chest. Was this how it felt to be connected to your mate? To leave them when all you wanted to do was take them into your arms? I never imagined I would find someone that could evoke these types of emotions from me, but Levi had been different from the start. When he saw me down on my knees in that confinement chamber, shackled and made feral from the rut, he never once cowered to his instincts. I remember thinking how beautiful the hatred in his eyes was.

An omega that stood before an alpha without fear. A monster in front of a monster.

The only one I wanted.

I leaned down to kiss him on the forehead and let my lips linger on his skin as I whispered, "I'm coming back to you. I will keep my promise, Levi."

Before I could convince myself to crawl under the sheets with him, I stood up and made my way toward the front door. It took several minutes to persuade myself to step out of the apartment. Then I turned around and pressed my forehead to the door, smelling Levi's unique scent as it drifted off my skin. My hand tightened around the knob. I wanted to go back.

"I'm coming back to you," I repeated. "Nothing can stop me from coming back."

With that, I tore myself away from the door and hurried down the corridor. I didn't allow myself to stop until I found Mike, who was cooped up in Erwin's office, looking over a stack of paperwork with a cup of tea in hand.

When he noticed me standing in the doorway, he said, "Are you heading out soon?"

"Yes. Do you have everything under control here?"

"I should be able to hold down the fort until you get back. I'll keep an eye on Levi, as well. You have nothing to worry about. Just focus on your objective. If you don't come back in one piece, your omega will turn this sanctuary upside down, and that's not something I want to deal with anytime soon."

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. "Mike, please make sure he's okay while I'm gone."

"You have my word."

"Then I'll leave things to you. Once I find Jean, we'll be on our way."

"I'll make sure the sanctuary is secure right after you leave. Trust me, no one is coming in or out while you're away."

I nodded, then walked out of the office before I could show him how worried I was. I'd just turned the corner when Jean came bounding towards me with a rifle slung over his shoulder. I eyed it with distaste. Weapons were of no use to me.

"Don't give me that," Jean said with a snort. "Not everyone has impenetrable skin like you. If someone attacks me from afar, I'm taking them out with this baby."

"Whatever you say. Are you ready to head out? We've wasted enough time here already."

"Apparently, a stick is welded up your ass today, but I'm ready whenever you are. I picked out a car earlier this morning. It's loaded and ready to go."