Chapter 19

I was aware that these moments of peace were nothing more than an illusion. Outside these walls, the war against our kind raged on. Captives like Hanji, Petra, and Mikasa were experiencing the cruelty of humans firsthand. Yet, in spite of everything that happened during our expedition, I couldn't focus on anything other than the alpha lying beside me. For now, we were safe in each other's arms, and I wouldn't take this time with him for granted. Sooner or later our problems would come crashing down on us. So I planned on making the most of these stolen moments until we were forced out of our haven.

I studied Eren's face in the dim blue light that came from the radio clock on the nightstand. His features were relaxed in sleep, smoothed out until nothing but tranquility remained. I traced the arch of his eyebrow with my fingertips and followed the trail down over the bridge of his nose. His pearlescent skin deepened in color wherever I touched him, like the alpha within him recognized my touch. As my fingers skimmed across his lips, the heart I'd overprotected my entire life opened up like a fresh wound. This alpha disarmed me, made me vulnerable, but in turn that made me stronger. I would never allow anyone to hurt him.

Although he thought I would feel different about him after what happened between us, I had no regrets about giving myself to him. In fact, I ached to do it all over again. My skin felt unbearably untouched without his marks on it, and last night, consumed with uncertainty, he'd been too gentle with me to leave any behind. What I wanted was for him to make me feel it. Every bit of it.

Possessed with this idea, I leaned back and noticed the blanket that had been covering us now lay in a bundle on the floor. I'd probably kicked it off us sometime during the night, irritated with the added heat. I didn't mind its absence so much. That left his body exposed for my viewing.

Slowly, as to not wake him up yet, I ran my hand down his taut abdominal muscles, relishing the feel of them beneath my palm. As my fingers brushed through coarse hair, I saw he was hard already. That indicated his rut had begun, which wasn't anything surprising. The pheromones I released during heat were strong enough to send his instincts into overdrive, and maybe this was exactly what he needed in order to lose all control.

"Time to wake up, sleepyhead." I moved closer to him and pressed my lips to the underside of his chin. I nibbled on his skin. He had a bit of a stubble going on, so I didn't linger. "Come on," I said as I kissed a trail to his mouth. "Wake up."

Eren suddenly wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me flush against him. He tangled his legs with mine. "What time is it?"

"Does it matter?" I whispered against his lips.

He grinned. "Not one bit."

Unable to contain myself, I reached down between us and grabbed him at the base. I stroked him once. "Ready for round two?"

Without answering, he rolled on top of me, forcing me onto my back. His silver eyes gleamed brilliantly in the dark as they roamed over every inch of my naked form. They reminded me of wolf eyes, carnivorous and wild, ready to consume anything in their path.

I reached up and took his face in between my hands, directing his gaze to mine. He looked ravenous, unkempt. I loved it. "The last time you looked at me like this, you were on your knees in the confinement chamber."

"I wanted you badly back then, but I want you even more now."

"Good, because I'm all yours now." I slid my index finger down his chest. "And if I remember correctly, when I tried to come onto you after the incident in the locker room, you told me three hours wasn't long enough. That when you took me for the first time, you wanted to take your time. Well, considering you held back last night, I fully expect you to make up for it now."