Chapter 8

Shadow entered the bedroom quietly, doing his best not to awake the sleeping azure hedgehog. He stealthily sneaked to the bedside table and grabbed the book, sitting on the floor.

For some odd reason, the wooden chair was no where in sight and Shadow wasn't going to bother taking a chair from the dining room. He also thought that sitting on the floor would be quieter, as the wooden chair tended to creak.

He flicked through the pages of the book, still surprised that Sonic had neat, cursive writing. Ignoring the snores of the blue hedgehog, Shadow stopped at a page in the book that grabbed his full attention.

It was him. A detailed pen drawing of him asleep. Shadow looked at it in awe, examining the neat lines and the small smile that was on his face.

He must have drawn this when I was asleep the other day, Shadow continued to look at the page, not noticing the blue hedgehog awaken.

"Like it?" Sonic asked the ebony hedgehog, as he looked down at him from over the side of the bed.

Shadow looked up at him and didn't say anything. I don't know if I like it... It's nicely detailed... but of me asleep and smiling?

"I was only drawing what I saw." Sonic shrugged, explaining himself.

Shadow could only nod as he looked back at the drawing, pondering. "When did you learn to draw like this?"

Sonic shrugged again, lying himself comfortably onto the bed. "I don't really know. I just let my hands do whatever. I did a drawing of what I could see out the window before that."

Shadow flipped the pages back and looked at the highly detailed drawing. Flowers, trees, what appeared to be a sunny afternoon, as he could tell with how the shadows were placed. He looked back up at Sonic and gave a small nod.

"Why are sitting on the floor? Where's the chair?" Sonic asked, looking around the room in search for the missing wooden chair.

"That's not a huge importance." Shadow replied, standing up to put the book back onto the table. He stood there and looked over Sonic. "Need anything?"

"Ah." Sonic looked down at his leg and shook his head. "No, I think everything is as fine as could be."

"OK."

"You're not going to sit on the floor all day, are you?" Sonic asked Shadow in confusion. "Because the floor is not a comfortable place to sit. I've spent enough hours in the Chao Garden to know."

"Well, where else am I going to sit?" Shadow asked the blue hedgehog. "I mean, I could always grab a chair from the dining room and bring it back here, but you may lose another chair by doing that."

"There's enough room on this bed for two hedgehogs." Sonic said, patting the space next to him. He laughed at Shadow's confused expression. "I don't mean it that way, Shads!"

"Of course you don't..." The ebony hedgehog mumbled, staying where he was.

"I mean, you were the one who put the moves on me." Sonic joked.

"What's to say you won't want to get your revenge?"

"Would I really fight someone with the possibility that I would be hurt even more than I already am?" Sonic asked in reply, shaking his head. "It's 99.98 per cent safe to sit next to me, I promise."

Shadow grunted. "Where's that other small percentage?"

"You don't need to worry about it." Sonic smirked and sighed. "But seriously, I'm not going to do much... I can't to be plainly honest."