Chapter 17

"Afternoon Shadow." Sonic said as he read a book, not looking up to see whohad walked in.

Shadow simply grunted as he closed the door and sat on the wooden chair, crossing his arms.

Sonic could tell something was up, he put the book down and turned his attention to the ebony hedgehog. "Is something wrong?"

Shadow shook his head and stayed quiet.

Sonic hummed curiously. Something was up, he knew it. What's wrong with him?

"It's nothing concerning you Faker, you don't need to worry." Shadow simply stated as Sonic was about to ask about the matter further.

"Alright..." Sonic said in an unsure tone, looking away from the ebony hedgehog and out the window. "You don't mind if you could get me a drink? Tails didn't get me one this morning, he was too busy trying to get rid of the cake."

"Trying?" Shadow asked with slight confusion as he got up and headed back to the door.

Sonic nodded and chuckled. "There are a few problems with trying to get rid of the cake. He can't burn it because then it'll get airborne because of the fumes and he can't just throw it in the trash, who knows what goes in there."

Shadow simply nodded as he left to go to the kitchen.

There's something wrong...

Sonic finished the book and looked at the ebony hedgehog who was sitting on the wooden chair and staring out the window. He paid no attention to the azure hedgehog.

"Shads, I know something is up." Sonic groaned in an impatient tone. "What is it?"

Shadow shook his head as he put his attention on Sonic. "It's nothing."

Sonic rolled his eyes, fed up with the ebony hedgehog. "Fine, don't tell me... You just aren't allowed to be anywhere near me anymore."

Shadow crossed his arms over his chest and smirked. "That doesn't bother me in the slightest Faker."

Sonic sighed. "Yeah, you're right."

Shadow looked at the friendship bracelet on his wrist and heaved a deep sigh. There was an important day of the year that meant very much to Shadow and he'd rather spend it alone. Basically, today was that day. Tails, had in a way, forced Shadow to look after Sonic and knew exactly what day it was.

"Does it have something to do with Maria?" Sonic asked curiously.

Can the Faker just keep out of someone's business? Shadow grunted, giving Sonic a rather fake dark glare.

Sonic laughed at Shadow's response. "I know that's fake, Shads. It does have something to do with Maria? Her birthday?" Sonic guessed.

"Yes..." Shadow muttered quietly, looking away from the azure hedgehog. "Now no more questions, otherwise you'll be forced to do something you don't want to do."

Sonic put his hands up, as if surrendering. "I just wanted an answer! I will not question you any further, happy?"

Shadow shrugged, saying nothing.

Sonic looked out the window and sighed. "You don't have to look after me today, I can look after myself."

"Tails forced me to... No clue why, but he did." Shadow calmly replied.

"Don't listen to him." Sonic laughed, continuing to look outside. "Wouldn't you be happier alone anyway on a day like today?"

"The last time I left you alone, you were kidnapped." Shadow stated bluntly. "I am not taking any chances."