Chapter 18

Tails looked at the blue hedgehog with a large amount of confusion. He didn't know if he was in heaps of pain or if it was something else.

The blue hedgehog was holding onto one of his pillows with a tight grip and hugging it close to him. He had a soft, sad expression.

Tails put a hand on his shoulder and pushed him slightly. "Sonic..."

Sonic mumbled as he attempted to shoo Tails' hand away. He gripped the pillow harder as if protecting it.

Tails rolled his eyes. "Wake up Sonic!"

Sonic opened one eye to look at the kitsune.

"What?" He asked tiredly, closing his eye.

"Are you okay?" Tails asked curiously. "You seem to be grippingthat pillow rather hard and you look sad."

Sonic smiled. "I'm perfectly fine lil' bro."

"It's not your leg is it?"

Sonic shook his head and opened his eyes. He sat up and threw the pillow beside him.

"Oh... Never mind... I understand." Tails gave him a small smile before sitting down on the corner of the bed.

"Only a few weeks left and I'll be running free." Sonic happily said, as he looked out the window. "I can't wait!"

"Is there anything you want before I go out and get some things?" Tails asked curiously as he stood up.

Sonic shook his head, not saying anything. He just continued to stare out the window, a small frown on his face.

"OK." Tails muttered silently before taking his leave, closing the bedroom door behind him.

Sonic grabbed hold of the pillow and stuffed his face into it.

"Where are you?" He murmured into the pillow, his voice muffled.

"Have you gone crazy Faker? You can not talk to inanimate objects." Shadow bluntly pointed out.

Sonic threw the pillow off of his face and turned to look at Shadow with a smirk. "I know that Shads, I was just thinking out loud."

Shadow gave him a questioning look as he walked over to the blue hedgehog, stopping at the side of the bed. "Where's who?"

"You. Where were you? You haven't been here for days." Sonic moaned.

Shadow shrugged. "I have other things to do than look after you Faker... But you didn't surely think I'd just forget all about you in a moment."

"Unless you got amnesia again." Sonic joked and Shadow grunted irritated.

"There's only a couple of weeks left and I'll be back on my feet!" Sonic said with excitement, jumping up slightly.

"Excellent to hear." Shadow bluntly said turning away from the azure hedgehog.

Sonic grabbed hold of Shadow's wrist to stop him. Shadow turned to look down at the blue hedgehog, who looked up at him with a sad face.

"Stay close please..."

"Are you paranoid again?" Shadow asked, looking at him slightly baffled.

"I don't think so." Sonic simply replied before pulling Shadow closer. "I just want you."

I wouldn't have returned if I knew he was going to be so obsessive, Shadow thought as he shook his hand out of Sonic's grip.

"Firstly, I want you to calm down because obviously my absence has made you crazy somewhat and secondly... Just calm down." Shadow retorted, walking around the bed and sitting on the very corner of the bed, away from the azure hedgehog.

Sonic took a deep breath and smiled, "Alright, fair enough. How are you doing Shads?"

"Perfectly fine." But to be plainly honest, I did look forward to seeing you again...

"Good." Sonic sighed, slumping into the bed and looking at the ceiling. "Any ideas of what to do today?"

The ebony hedgehog shook his head. "Nope."

"Neither do I." Sonic stated.

"It's hard to enclose a hyperactive hedgehog like you." Shadow said as he sat closer to the blue hedgehog.

Sonic nodded. "Yeah, I don't like tight spaces so you wouldn't see me in an elevator."

"I've seen you visit the Chao Garden in Station Square. Don't you have to take an elevator to get there?" Shadow replied with a smirk.

"That's a different situation." Sonic explained, shaking his head quickly.

"Right..."

"Which reminds me! I haven't seen my Chao in weeks! I hope he's doing okay!" Sonic exclaimed as he sat up and looked at Shadow with realization.

Shadow rolled his eyes. "Surely he can take care of himself for a few more weeks."

Sonic sighed sadly. "Please Shadow..." He begged.

"Fine." Shadow groaned. "Do you want me to bring him here, or do you want me to feed him and leave?"

"You can bring him here, he probably needs the fresh air." Sonic explained as he sat back down, relaxed.

Shadow got up and left. I don't get why people have such a hype over Chao.

Shadow guessed that Sonic's Chao was the one that looked somewhat like him, completely blue. The ebony hedgehog picked up a piece of fruit from the floor and handed it to the blue Chao.

The Chao took it eagerly and ate it hungrily.

There's plenty of food lying around, I don't get why he doesn't just go and eat one of them, Shadow thought as the Chao ate all the fruit. He picked up the Chao, who looked at him with a question mark above its head.

"Don't look at me like that." Shadow grunted simply before leaving the garden and taking the blue Chao with him.

The Chao danced around on the floor before sitting back down and lying on its back to sleep.

"Thanks Shads." Sonic said happily.

"Don't mention it." Please, don't even mention it. Shadow looked on and folded his arms over his chest. "I don't understand why you'd want something like that as a pet."

"You're not jealous because I'm focusing more of my attention of the Chao than you, are you?" Sonic asked in reply, giving the ebony hedgehog a smile.

Shadow shook his head. "I have no reason to be jealous of such a creature."

"Of course not." Sonic laughed, reaching out to take hold of Shadow's arm and pulling the ebony hedgehog onto him. "Because you are heaps more important to me than that Chao will ever be."

Here we go with the obsessiveness...

Sonic put his arms around Shadow's waist and held him tightly, as if never letting go. He gave the ebony hedgehog a quick kiss on the side of his muzzle and pushed him over onto the bed.

Shadow did say anything as Sonic continued to hold him and nuzzle into his chest, purring.

"What are we going to do about the Chao?" Shadow asked.

"Don't worry about it." Sonic laughed. "When Tails gets back, he'll probably return the Chao back to the garden."

Shadow let the matter down and stroked the blue hedgehog's quills as he listened to the latter's slow paced breathing.

It felt nice having company. He didn't care if Tails had planned it from the beginning. He didn't care what others thought. As long as he was alone with the azure hedgehog in his arms, that was all he needed.

   ~~~

Votes and Comments, please. :)