Chapter 11

Hey guys! Sorry this one is kind of short but I wanted to get this chapter out before I go on a long Christmas break. I really appreciated all of your comments and I will do my best to keep the chapters coming. Enjoy!    

        Ronan kept true to his word and was still beside Corin in the morning. 

“What time is it?” She asked groggily as she wiped sleep from her eyes. Her body was still hurting from everything that had happened the past few days and wasn’t sure if she was even able to walk. 

“About noon.” 

Corin groaned and slumped into her pillow. “I’ve been laying down for too long. I need to stretch.” 

She attempted to stretch her arms above her head but cried out as sharp pain sliced through her arms. 

“You were seriously injured in battle. And we still have to debrief.”

Without another word Ronan leans down and lifts Corin off of the bed, making her gasp. 

“I—I can walk!” She sputters indignantly. 

Ronan simply gives her a look, shutting her up. Nothing else is spoken between them as Ronan takes her into a part of the ship that looked completely unfamiliar. It was a part that she had never been to before. 

The room they end up in looked like some type of conference room with a long table surrounded by chairs. Ronan places her in one of these chairs, directly beside him at the head of the table. Korath enters the room right then, sees Ronan and at his command, other soldiers start filing into the room, filling the chairs. 

Corin couldn’t help feeling like she shouldn’t be here. It seemed like an important meeting and couldn’t understand why Ronan had brought her here. 

Nebula enters the room and Corin deliberately avoids looking at her. She wasn’t in the mood for a confrontation at the moment. Once everyone is seated, Ronan takes charge.

“Korath. We discussed briefly the battle at outpost 68. I want a full report.” 

Korath clears his throat and ruffles through a couple pages before answering.

“Yes. There were a total of 5 deaths and 20 injured, these numbers lower than the previous outpost battle. Now, from the way the battle went, it looks like the Xandarians were expecting us. They had a group waiting for us at the control center which resulted in all the casualties. And we just might have had to retreat if it actually wasn’t for Corin.” 

Corin snaps out of her daze at the mention of her name, not quite believing what she was hearing. All eyes turn to her and Corin suddenly feels extremely self conscious. She looks at Ronan but his expression is unreadable as Korath continues. 

“We were all under heavy fire but she somehow managed to knock out the entire unit ahead of us. We were then able to destroy the outpost and steal the information there that we needed.” 

Korath concludes his speech with a small nod towards Ronan. Ronan stares around the room at everyone before speaking. 

“It’s about time we pulled off a successful battle like this. But I want those numbers going down. There’s still too many casualties. Korath, I want you training the soldiers five hours a day from now on.”

Korath looks slightly stunned but he merely nods at Ronan. 

“And Octavias.” 

Ronan speaks to a larger soldier who had a large scar over his left eye. 

“I want you coming up with more battle strategies. I don’t want to be taken off guard again.” Ronan says this firmly, anger hinted in his tone. 

The guy Octavias nods, a sort of evil glint in his eye that makes Corin shudder.   

“Tais, I want you debriefing the rest of the soldiers. No one is to eat until debriefed.” 

Ronan continues making orders to the men around Corin, and soon Corin found herself getting annoyed. The battle had been a success and here Ronan was angry, almost punishing the soldiers. It was ridiculous. 

Ronan finishes finally and dismisses everyone, leaving him and Corin alone in the room. 

“Corin, you need to be debriefed as well. I want to know what happened during that battle. Korath said you ran directly into the bullet fire.”

Corin swallows her annoyance with him and decides to tell him the truth. 

“I was being attacked by the monster.” 

He stares at her intently. “Go on.” 

Corin sighs softly, remembering the monster’s power. 

“I was about to lose control so the only option I had was to injure myself in hopes that the monster wouldn’t be able to come out. I also wanted to try to help the soldiers who were being fired upon. Ronan, it’s never been this powerful before! I swear, the only reason I couldn’t control it seemed to be…because you weren’t around…me.” 

Corin trails off, feeling embarrassed for saying what she did. It was the only thing that she could possibly think of. 

“But I don’t know why it happens when you’re not around.” She tries to explain herself, wanting to give an excuse for making it seem like she wanted him around her. “I thought that maybe the monster is weak around you because you defeated it before. You’re the only one that has ever defeated me while it was controlling me.” 

Once more, Corin trails off, not wanting to look at Ronan’s face. She could merely fiddle with her fingers in awkwardness as she awaited his response.

“You think that my presence controls the monster?” 

She could merely nod.

“Interesting.”

Corin looks up at him surprised, not expecting that type of answer. He was deep in thought as he started to pace around the room. Corin watched him, wondering what it was that he was thinking. 

“I’m going to look into this.” He finally says. “Try to figure out exactly what this monster is that’s inside of you.” 

Corin couldn’t help it, she felt touched. But his efforts would be wasted. 

“I’ve searched everywhere and there isn’t anyone that knows what this monster is. The only person who would know—”

Corin cuts herself off as fury erupts inside of her. She couldn’t bear to say his name. 

“Who?” Ronan presses. 

Corin shakes her head, afraid that she would snap at him if she opened her mouth. 

“Corin.” Ronan was suddenly standing over her in a threatening position. “Who is it?” 

Memories flash through Corin’s mind. A large man carrying her. A medical room that was filled with many instruments of destruction. A large purple hand reaching for her. 

Corin flinches, squeezing her eyes shut. The first few days that she had had the monster in side of her had been pure terror. Somehow, she had forgotten about who’s fault it was for the reason she was how she was. 

Finally, her voice a growl of pure loathing she said, “Thanos.” 

Ok so not overly much happened in this chapter. However, I would like to know what you guys want to see happening in the future chatpers. I have a general idea of what will take place but I would like to add in things that you guys would like to see. Without your ideas, the chapters might come slowly so please comment and let me know what you think! Thanks!