0 • 7

𝐑𝐔𝐍𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆 towards a taxi, with an unconscious Jun in his arms, Jungkook prayed the boy would be alright. Something he had never done before in his life.

||

"There isn't anything to be concerned about, sir. He's going to be fine." The doctor came out of the room, greeted by the relived pair in the waiting room. "However, I have to ask you, is Yejun allergic to anything?"

"Yes, to nuts and strawberries," Jungkook replied.

"Ah, you see, I'm afraid your child's condition had developed from an allergic reaction to mild food poisoning. Do you recall giving him any of those things recently?"

Jungkook shook his head in confusion whilst Yena's eyes went wide in realisation.

"I-I gave him a piece of fruit cake for lunch. It had nuts and strawberries, but I was completely unaware of his allergies." She turned to Jungkook, avoiding his condemning gaze. "I'm so sorry, I had no idea."

The doctor nodded in acknowledgement, noting things down, and took his leave. The second he left, Yena was met by the most fearsome pair of eyes she had ever seen.

"You did what?" Jungkook growled through gritted teeth. Jungkook was furious, irritated that she, a random stranger, had made his child ill whilst he tried so hard to keep him healthy this whole time.

"Mr Jeon, believe me if I had known I would never-"

"You do realise the danger you put my son in." He accused as her tears threatened to fall. "If anything, and I mean anything, happened to Jun I wouldn't hesitate to kill you with my bare hands."

I would too. She thought but didn't want to add fuel to his fire. "I'm so sorry, I-"

"Save it." He hissed and walked into Jun's hospital room.

The second he saw Jun, his heart trembled at the sight of his little one, staring into space innocently.

Jun turned to face his father and smiled weakly at the sight of him.

"Hey buddy, daddy is here." He smiled at him. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm okay." He smiled. "I'm sorry for making you upset."

Jungkook sighed embracing the younger tightly. "Of course it's not your fault baby don't you ever blame yourself. If anything, it's my fault okay? Come on let's go get some rest."

He was mostly frustrated at himself for not informing the woman of Jun's basic needs. In a moment of stress and despair, it completely slipped his mind. After all, had he not been so incompetent, Yena wouldn't be needed and this wouldn't have occurred.

He carried him out of the room and noticed Yena sitting with her head buried in her hands.

"Mommy?" The boy waved his little weak hand at her, making her sniff back her tears so that he wouldn't notice she had been crying.

"Jun, how are you feeling bunny?" She asked scanning for any sign of his wellbeing.

"He's fine, no thanks to you." Jungkook spat and walked past her to catch a taxi.

Yena felt as if wanting to dig her grave in guilt and disappointment. Jun had come to mean more to her than herself and knowing she was at fault made her despise herself even more.

Once they got in, Yena was about to head the other way but Jun stopped her. "Please stay with me.."

Watching his sorrowful face, Yena had no choice but to comply to his wish, heading inside the taxi.

┌─────────・  . ─────────┐
𝐋𝐈 𝐘𝐄𝐍𝐀
└─────────・ . ─────────┘

My fingers brushed through Jun's hair as he laid on my lap sleeping peacefully. I glanced beside me seeing Jungkook's frustrated expression. His knuckles turned completely white given how tightly he fisted at his shirt.

The taxi stopped outside a block of apartments which I'm assuming was their home. Seeing as he had disregarded my presence, I realised I'd be walking home alone tonight. But then again, it's not like he'd offer to take me home after food poisoning his child.

"Jun, go inside, Appa's going to be there in a minute okay?" He told he boy who nodded and went into the block, still remembering to embrace me beforehand.

Jungkook then turned to me and a wave of fear ran through my body. "Yena." He said, his voice cold and stern.  "I know what happened wasn't intentional but know that I'll never tolerate anything could make my child suffer."

Please don't fire me. I begged internally. This is the only good thing going on in my life.

"I devoted my whole life to keeping Yejun safe. To making enough money so that he has the food  he needs, the education he needs and as much happiness as he can get. I will not let any insignificant person ruin that for me."

I nodded, gulping down the thick blob of guilt down my throat.

"However." He said, making me look up at him hopefully. "I know how much you mean to him and the fact that you make him happy. You give him something I can't give him. But don't let that get to you. Remember, you are only his babysitter, nothing more."

"I understand." I said feebly, looking down in shame.

He's right, I couldn't get ahead of myself. Jun already has a mother and that isn't me as much as I'd want it to be.

"Don't give him false hope about something you cannot give him." He said bitterly.

"Yes, sir." I know exactly what he meant.

"But I won't get rid of you for the moment. You're useful in some way." He said and I wasn't sure if I was meant to take that as a compliment. From the tone of his voice, probably not.

"Just so you know, I love Jun like my own but I won't cross the line in any way. I'm truly sorry for what happened today." I told him and bowed respectfully. I was aware that he was not much older than me but either way, the man was far too intimidating.

I was about to head off when he continued speaking. "I realise this may be a little delayed but," I noticed him holding out his phone. "Put in your number."

"Just so that nothing like that happens again."