five

"Betty Marie Cooper!" Jughead yelled as he ran his finger across his name on the cast list for the sixth time. It couldn't be real. There was absolutely no way he was -

"Jeremy Heere! I can't believe it Juggie! You got the lead and you're only a sixth grader!! Do you even understand how incredible this is? Very." Betty squealed, grabbing his hands as she jumped up and down, causing her now iconic pony tail to go up and down.

Jughead had been spending a lot more alone time with betty and their Drama club friends because Archie is always busy playing football. He tried to pretend like it didn't  bother him when Archie would tell them he couldn't hang out because reggie already made plans with him. Instead, Jughead had sleepovers with Kevin and Betty. They watched bootleg musicals and acted out Shakespeare in Kevin's room. Juggie loved to play Romeo, especially when Kevin was Juliet  because it all made them laugh so hard he forgot that Archie had broke his stupid promise. They even sat in different groups at lunch. Archie sat with the football team in the cafeteria and Jug and Betty sat in the theater with all their friends.

Jughead sighed as he grabbed betty's hand (it was becoming a habit, and soon people were going to tease them but he didn't really care as long as it didn't affect betty) pulling her towards the doors the school.  He pushed  a strand of hair out of his eyes as he bit his lip. "I dunno Betts," He admitted, "I've never sang in front of people before." Betty opened the door causing the two to be practically thrown backwards with the cold September Riverdale air. Jug pulled his beanie down over his ears and Betty  fixed her scarf. They walked close together to keep warmth. Once they had stopped being bombarded with cold weather. Betty spoke, "What you need, Jughead Jones is a girls day, to calm your nerves. Get your mind off the impending anxiety about to arise from getting the lead. C'mon."

Jughead tripped over his feet to keep up with the excited girl. They would have looked like a picture from a perfect scrapbook to anyone watching. Betty cooper was decked in soft Pastels and it complimented her angelic blonde curls and bubblegum pink lips. She tugged along a nervous jughead, With scuffed up sneakers and jeans that were old and starting to rip in the knees from wear and tear. It was a pink tulip dragging  a red rose, thorns exposed, through the flower field.

Betty turned the corner away from her house, causing Jughead to get concerned. He sped up his pace to walk along side her. "You missed your house." He told her. Betty just laughed as she walked towards the train tracks.

"Jughead Jones!" She sang out his name in the gorgeous voice that landed her the role of christine. They took the careful steps Jughead took everyday to get to SunnySide Trailer park to cross the train tracks.

"You can't have a girls day without your favorite girl." She said in a matter-of-fact tone. They turned the corner to Jughead's trailer as he dug around his jacket for his keys. He unlocked the door as Betty ran in, making her entrance loud and clear. Jughead let out a shaky  laugh as he closed the door behind him. Sure a girls day with Betty and Jellybean sounded fun, but as he looked through the window he saw the trailer park boys wrestling. They were navy blue, but they were navy blue together.  He heard two voices laughing, and turned  to see Betty picking up two year old Jellybean and make funny faces at her. Jughead ached for his maroon best friend, but  bubblegum pink will have to do. 

"What's first on the agenda?' Jughead asked, taking off his beanie and putting it on the counter. He ran a hand through his unruly curls as Betty stroked her chin in thought. She laughed mischievously, "Makeovers!"

-

"What it to do to die today at a minute or two to two?" Jughead chanted with his fellow cast mates as they stood in a circle. Ah, the cult that is theater. It was one of their last rehearsals before opening night and he could feel the butterflies in his stomach. He slowly took a breath as his eyes met Betty's, who was across the circle from him.