twelve

Cheryl's house was tall and hidden by angry red leaved trees. The windows were stained glass red, pressed up against a brick house covered in vines. It was an angry, hidden house. The sun was just starting to set and the red orange sky added to the atmosphere the house was providing. Jughead found himself grabbing Archie's hand and biting his lip. It appeared that the house left the same affect on all four of them, staring up at the house in fear.

"It's probably less haunted house on the inside," Betty reasoned. She pulled her ponytail tighter and lead the group through the gate and further towards the house. The lights inside were flashing, and you could see the silhouettes of people moving through the windows.

Jughead turned to Veronica, confused, "I thought you said Cheryl invited us over?" Veronica gave him a 'please dont kill me' look in response. She moved to stand in front of the three of them, her eyes darting around their faces for any sign of anger.

"She did invite us over! Just, to a party." Veronica explained. Jughead gawked at her before turning in between Archie and Betty to see their reactions. He sighed, and rubbed his eye with his free hand.

"Oh my god, you're all making me go to a stupid party," He complained as he felt Betty squeeze his shoulder. He pouted the entire rest of the way to the house. Betty knocked on the door and received  a very drunk Reggie Mantle in response.

"Betsy!" He exclaimed, throwing his arms up in the air, spilling his beer. Betty mumbled a 'close enough' and motioned for the rest of them to follow her inside. They walked in a clump, so as to not get separated in the sea of drunken high schoolers grinding on each other.

Jughead looked around as they walked, his eyes landing on a girl straddling a boy's lap, making out with him. He gagged and shook his head, looking away immediately. He kept his head down after that, relying on Archie's hand to make sure he didn't drown. They kept walking until they reached one of the quieter areas of the party, an outdoor pool table.

People were scattered around the table, talking quietly, clearly more sober than the people dancing. Jughead let out a breath he didn't realize he was holding in. He turned to face his friends and sighed.

"We're not here to party," He reminded them as he saw Veronica eyeing  a boy across the room. "Remember what we're here for. I think we'll cover more ground if we split up, this place is huge." He theorized.

Veronica huffed, taking her eyes away from the boy  and turning to meet Jughead's thoughtful blue ones. "It makes sense, but if i get killed it's your fault, Jones." She decided.

Archie laughed, letting go of Jugheads hand. He thought for a second before speaking, "Sounds like a plan, Lets meet up right here in an hour?" He suggested. Everyone agreed before going their separate ways.

Jughead decided going upstairs would be the easiest option because it seemed to be the quietest. The party seemed to be raging down stairs and fading with every step took up the spiral staircase. He landed on the 3rd floor, trailing down an empty and silent hallway. He ran his finger along the wall as he walked, dragging his converse across the carpet. The hallway was long, and felt endless. You could get trapped in this house, suffocated in the angry tones of red. He wondered if Jason ever felt trapped in this house. He was tore out of his thoughts by the sound of someone calling his name. He froze and turned around sharply. Coming down the spiral staircase a few steps away was Kevin Keller.

The boy was disheveled, the first three buttons on his shirt were unbuttoned and his hair stood up in multiple  directions. He cocked his head to the side, "What're you doin' up here, Juggie?"

Jughead bit his lip, blinking with his mouth slightly open before fake laughing, "I - um- I was looking," his eyes darted around the hallway, "for the bathroom." He decided.