fourteen

The sun shines through the blinds of Archie Andrews' bedroom window. The cascade of warm glowing orange light  pours across Jughead Jones' face. He lay in bed beside Archie, black hair spilling over his face and onto the pillow. Archie, whom had woken up a few minutes prior watches him silently.

Jughead's chest rises and falls with each breath, his mouth slightly parted, eye lashes pressed against pale skin. Archie runs his fingers through Jugheads hair, for once the all too familiar beanie wasn't on his head. It instead sat on the floor beside Jughead's worn down converse.

It had been 4 days since Archie's confession, and they found themselves constantly drawn to each other despite no one knowing. Jughead had at one point grabbed Archie's hand like normal and although it appeared no different to anyone else, it was different to them. Because now Archie squeezed his hand lovingly, looking at him with those eyes that Jughead was so fond of. Their own special secret in their own special world.

Jughead's eyes fluttered open, tired blue eyes meeting Archie's more awake ones, he sat up, blinking the sleep away before turning to his now official boyfriend, "What time is it? Are we late to meet B&V?"

Archie laughed, shaking his head as he sat up, leaning on the headboard of his bed he answered, "We're not late, Juggie, its 9:15."

Jughead relaxed, knowing they had hours until they had to meet up with Betty and Veronica who were testing a theory a few miles away.  He leaned back, laying his head on Archie's chest, the red head boy twirled his fingers in Jughead's black curls.

"I feel like we never get a chance to talk about anything but Jason Blossom. We have time. Are you okay?"

Jughead stiffened at the question, looking down and drumming his fingers on Archie's ACDC pajama shirt. He let out a breath he didn't realize he was holding in before replying, "I'm, I'm okay. It's..stressful without Jellybean. She's turning 6 this December. I don't know what to think of that. Last i saw her she was 4 years old with chubby baby cheeks and she wasn't tainted by the world yet. I wonder if her hair is longer. If she's still so happy. If she still likes pancakes and hates skinning her knees on the concrete."

Archie looked down at the boy, watching the way his eyes filled with tears. He wrapped his arm around Jughead's waist as the boy spoke again, "I called my mother every single day for weeks after she left. Asking where she was. Asking if i could speak to Jelly. I got the same answer every single time, Arch. 'The person you 
are trying to reach has a voicemail box that has not yet been set up. Please call back later."

They sat in silence again, Jughead finding comfort in the way Archie's chest rose and fell against his head. The wind moved Archies curtains slightly, and the rickety old fan creaked as it turned but i felt like home. It felt warmer than the trailer ever felt.

"Dad's been drinking again," Jughead admitted. This was the most he talked about himself ever. He never did. His problems weren't other peoples so why should they care about him. However, he felt like he could open up about anything to Archie. Archie made him feel like he was still in 3rd grade, laughing and reading chapter books like nothing was wrong. Archie felt like picnics at Pickens Park. Archie felt like your stomach when you were swinging to big at recess.

"The trailer smells like alcohol all the time. That's why i moved out. The Twilight drive in smells like over buttered popcorn and dust."

Archie, who had been quiet for a while, listening to the voice he loved so dearly poor his heart out to him, now spoke, "Juggie you can't live in a drive in." It was soft, a mere whisper, sending shivers down Jughead's spine.

"Yes i can, nobody knows. It's fine. Just until..." He trailed off. Until what? He found himself asking. It didn't feel like there was an appropriate ending in sight. Until he got old enough to move away? Until his dad decided to stop drinking? Until Jellybean turns 18 and decides she can take care of her 28 year old useless brother?